[mma] DREAM 1 Fight card

foolish

Veteran X
Saturday's DREAM 1 Fight Card - MMAjunkie.com
Saturday's DREAM 1 Fight Card
by MMAjunkie.com Staff [mmajunkie-staff] on Mar 13, 2008 at 5:55 pm in - News -
DREAM, the upstart fight promotion born out of the former K-1 HERO'S organization with help from former staffers of PRIDE Fighting Championships, has (nearly) finalized its fight card for Saturday's debut show.

The event, which takes place at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, includes the opening round of a lightweight grand prix, as well as the return of former UFC and PRIDE fighter Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic.

The event airs in Japan on the Tokyo Broadcasting System beginning at 7 p.m. JST. The event won't be broadcast in the U.S.

"DREAM 1" is slated to feature a main event between Shinya Aoki (14-2) and Gesias "JZ" Calvancante (14-1-1), two of the 16 lightweights taking part in the grand prix. Ikuhisa Minowa -- who's slated to compete in the night's first bout -- is without an opponent. Additionally, only 14 participants have been announced for the 16-man grand-prix tournament.

The latest card, according to dreamofficial.com, includes:

* Shinya Aoki vs. Gesias "JZ" Calvancante
* Kultar Gill vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
* Andre Amade vs. Eddie Alvarez
* Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Yoshihiro Nakao*
* Mitsuhiro Ishida vs. Jung Bu-Kyung
* Katsuhiko Nagata vs. Artur Oumakhanov
* Luiz Firmino vs. Kazuyuki Miyata
* Koutetsu Boku vs. Joachim Hansen
* Hidetaka Monma vs Hayato "Mach" Sakurai*
* Ikuhisa Minowa vs. TBA*

* -- non-grand prix bout

this event is STACKED

Dana was stupid to buy Pride thinking the league would go away and everyone would be happy watching only the UFC.

Dana was stupid to buy Pride thinking the league would go away and everyone would be happy watching only the UFC.

he got rights to some good fighters and helped solidify the UFC's dominance in the US.

he hasn't done enough to make more cards, international cards, and other bigger ideas.

Prolly all in the works.

Who cares, its cro cop, he fucking choked in the cage. I used to like him alot when he was in pride, but when he transferred over he couldn't take the heat.

Just compare his body language during the GP to when he was in the UFC, after winning the GP he didnt give ashit about the ufc.

Going to be some rapes in that card. Heres an interesting read I found on Cro Cop fight yesterday.

Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic is disappointed and flabbergasted with the fact that nobody wants to enter the ring with him, as he discovered Japanese Yoshihiro Nakao has quit as well.

Mirko`s first fight under the wings of the new DREAM organisation is still questionable. At first, his opponent was supposed to have been Ray Sefo, but he was notified too late and did not have enough time to prepare. Afterwards, Korean Dong Sik Yoon was mentioned, but it was officially announced that his rival will be Japanese Nakao, known as the Kiss, on March 15 at the Saitama Arena.

However, this fight will not take place either, according to initial reports, due to alleged threats to the Japanese fighter by the Japanese Yakuza, the notorious Mafia organisation, of all.

Yakuza Threatening Mirko’s Opponent?

His coach Takumi Yano wrote on his blog that Yakuha received threats, banning him to fight against Cro Cop. The possibility of the Japanese underground trying to destroy the DREAM organisation was not excluded, just like they have attempted to do with Pride.

DREAM heads have forwarded an open invitation to fighters who want to enter the ring with Mirko, and according to first information, his latest opponent should be Japanese judoka Tatsuya Mizuno, 185 cm tall and weighing 100 kilos.

- I don`t know what`s happening and why everyone id quitting, As to my knowledge, I will be fighting Japanese judoka Tatsuya Mizuno – Mirko told the Vecerni list daily.

Mizuno has six fights under his belt, 4 of which he came out a winner, adding 2 defeats. He seems to be an easy bite for the nervous and impatient Mirko, if he does not quit.

Who's next

Mirko did not wish to discuss his next opponent, just because he does not know much about the fighter-

- I'm not going to talk much about my fight. I had very limited information about my opponent so I'll just be my old self and get in there to knock my opponent out. I always enjoyed fighting in Japan and I really hope that DREAM will put up a good show –

Seeing how he has waited so ling to find out the name of his opponent at the Saitama Arena, Mirko does not even want to think about his next opponent.

- People keep asking me about my next opponent and I think it's not appropriate to discuss this before next week. Although I'll say that there's a possibility of facing some good fighters from K1 under MMA rules. But first things first, we'll see about that after Saturday – Mirko writes.

Mirko `Cro Cop` Filipovic To Undergo Elbow Surgery

Still, Filipovic cannot sit and wait for the fight on Saturday, he has trouble with his left elbow, but this should not bother him too much.

- For quite some time I've been having troubles with my left elbow. It's nothing too serious but I'm scheduled for a surgery later this month with Dr. Bojanic from the University Hospital Center „Salata“. A few weeks ago I received a major blow to my elbow during a sparring session, that caused a tiny hematoma inside. From what I hear from dr. Bojanic, this is a routine procedure and I'll restart my trainings a couple of days after surgery -

Last edited:
Just compare his body language during the GP to when he was in the UFC, after winning the GP he didnt give ashit about the ufc.

Yea, fighters take fights that dont give a shit about winning. :rofl: Give me a break. He won his debut in UFC in the first round and got caught by a nice kick from a pretty bad ass fighter in Gonzaga. He wins the fight with Gonzaga he might be looking at a 750k payday fight with Couture. He also carries the weight of an entire country being his biggest fans as well. Yea, no motivation there at all to win.

UFC 85 would have been fun too with Shogun fighting Liddell, but Shogun had to have surgery so they put Rashad Evans as the replacement. :(

Im also confused. Wasnt Sherk stripped in December and banned for a year? Hes supposed to fight BJ Penn in May at UFC 84. I hope this is true though, because that would make a great fight card with Machida/Ortiz and Wanderlei/Jardine.

Last edited:
Back