[MLB] Teixeira to the Braves, Salty to the Rangers

Saltamacchia is going to be awesome... I can't believe they traded Andrus, though. Signed the kid when he was 16 and they were developing him to be the next great shortstop.

This should bode well for Salty's fantasy value for the rest of the season. Even if he is unable to supplant Laird, he should still see some time at C as well as first, and he could possibly spot DH. Regardless of position, his playing time should increase with this trade.

I'm amazed at how well the Braves franchise has been run over the past decade, they are always full of talent and make good decisions compared to 90% of the league

If the Angels were offering Kotchman and Saunders AND Nick Adenhart as many of the rumors suggested then the Rangers are fucking clueless.

Looking like this (other 2 prospects named below possibly - according to the articles)

Braves get:
Mark Teixeira
Ron Mahay

Rangers get:
Jarrod Saltalamacchia
Elvis Andrus
Neftali Feliz
Matt Harrison

We(Braves) made out like fucking Bandits. fuck ya.

and no Escobar is our shortstop of the future. Salty is going to be a really great player tho. Im talking .300 30 125 type numbers when he gets a bit of experience.

Teixeira deal a win for both teams
posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry

The casual fan might look at the Mark Teixeira trade and wonder what in the world the Rangers are thinking. You cannot possibly swap a 27-year-old slugger who has won a couple of Gold Gloves for one player, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who is known primarily for having the longest last name in baseball history, and three players they've never heard of.

But within baseball circles, the peers of Texas GM Jon Daniels believe he did relatively well in this trade, considering the high ceilings of Salty and Class A shortstop Elvis Andrus, one of the prospects Atlanta is shipping to Texas, and considering the circumstances. Teixeira will be eligible for free agency in 15 months, and he's represented by agent Scott Boras, who takes his clients into free agency almost every opportunity he gets, and Texas had no plans for signing Teixeira; rival executives became convinced early last week that Teixeira was going to be traded.

But despite all of that, Daniels wound up getting Saltalamacchia, a 22-year-old catcher who is thought by some of his teammates to be at least the equal of solid Atlanta catcher Brian McCann, and perhaps even better -- and Saltalamacchia can flat-out rake. In 141 big-league at-bats, he's hitting .284, after hitting well at every level in the minors. In Texas' bandbox, he is liable to become a 30-homer threat sometime in the next few years. Andrus is probably years away from playing in the big leagues, and he is rough around the edges -- he has 25 errors in Class A this year -- but he has a chance to be very good, according to the evaluators who've seen him.

The deal reminds me a little of the fire-sale trades made by the Padres in 1993. At the time, San Diego swapped perennial All-Star Gary Sheffield for young players that casual fans wouldn't know, and Padres GM Randy Smith was excoriated for the deal. And one of those three young players is going to the Hall of Fame -- Trevor Hoffman -- rather then just a middle reliever with a great arm.

Daniels did well, and so did the Braves, who suddenly have a lineup that can go toe-to-toe with that of the Mets -- Edgar Renteria, Chipper Jones, Teixeira, Andruw Jones, Jeff Francoeur, Brian McCann, Kelly Johnson. The Braves still have some need for starting pitching, and it was not missed by rival talent evaluators that John Smoltz looked uncomfortable in the early innings of his last start; at his age, a cranky shoulder could be a problem. But the Teixeira deal makes the Braves better in 2007, and puts pressure on the Mets to ante up, as well, in the next 27 hours.

In the midst of what has been a solid season, Casey Kotchman has been in the news this week, as a player the Angels have considered trading to the Rangers for Mark Teixeira. We e-mailed him questions about this and Thundersticks and new bats, among other topics, and he e-mailed back.

1. Trade rumors are rampant again, as we head toward Tuesday's trade deadline. How do you deal with those as a player?

CK: I try to concentrate on helping our team win. They are called rumors, [and] most don't happen, so worrying about them isn't going to be conducive in concentrating on the present task of playing. If it did happen, that usually means someone else wants you.

2. You missed most of last season with mononucleosis. Before you knew you had it, how did it affect what you did on the baseball field? Did it just sap your energy, your power? How long did you feel sick before you went for treatment?

FANTASY
ON THE RISE
• Jason Giambi, Yankees: He could be back in the big leagues soon.
ON THE DECLINE
• Kenny Rogers, Tigers: He hits the DL with a bum elbow.

CK: I was diagnosed the first day of camp. The best cure is rest, but when you're competitive, you try to play through it. I tried and it just zapped me. When you're having trouble keeping your eyes open at 2 o'clock in the afternoon, that's not the feeling you want as you try to hit a 98-mph fastball from Justin Verlander. Now if it's up near your head you're talking serious stuff, because your reaction speed isn't there.

3. When you're on the field at home, do the Thundersticks really make it that much louder?

CK: Thundersticks definitely make it louder, and then it gets crazier when the rally monkey starts dancing on the scoreboard.

4. Who is a player on another team you like to watch?

CK: I always liked watching Ken Griffey Jr.'s sweet left-handed picturesque follow-through when he connects for a homer, and to see him doing it a lot again this year has been entertaining.

5. A lot of first basemen are chatty (Kevin Millar), and some are not (John Olerud was like that). What is your thinking about talking with runners/umpires/etc. at first base? Are you someone who likes to talk?

CK: I try to be cordial and say "Hey," etc., and guys that get on first are usually in a good mood because they got a hit. There are some interesting and unique things that are said because the baserunners are usually happy.

6. Which opposing player plays the game the right way, in your eyes?

CK: Easy question -- David Eckstein. What you see is what you get. An everyday professional grinder. There is no fluff or eyewash with him, max effort from him day in and day out. It's painful watching him stretch and warm up in the on-deck circle. I also had the privilege to play with him while he was here in Anaheim.

7. If the count is 3-0 and the manager gives you the green light, what is your philosophy, as a hitter?

CK: Easier said than done, but you look for one pitch in one spot, and don't be late in your swing.

8. What are your observations of your teammate, Vladimir Guerrero, as a hitter?

CK: Vlad is Vlad -- no one else like him. It's an honor to be his teammate. I heard Yogi Berra was a great bad ball hitter, but this guy is sick. Sometimes it's like they throw it down the middle to see if that works against him.

9. When you get a box of new bats, what do you look for in picking your favorite gamers? Something in the grains?

CK: It's just a feel with the bats when you take them out and swing them. There is not really a way to judge grain on the maple like you do with the ash. So it comes down to whatever feels good in your hands.

10. What is your view on Barry Bonds as he goes for the all-time home run record?

CK: Tough question. Obviously, he's one of the greatest hitters ever, before the rumors. At some point, the truth usually comes out. It must be an unimaginable amount of pressure to chase that record and deal with all the expectations. I would love to pick his brain about hitting.

• Kenny Rogers landed on the disabled list with a bad elbow, and the Tigers just keep on getting pounded -- this time, it was Jeremy Bonderman who got lit up, as John Lowe writes.

• John Schuerholz is working the phones, while waiting for an answer from Texas GM Jon Daniels on whether the Rangers will accept the Atlanta offer.

• The Yankees continue to talk to the Rangers about Eric Gagne at a time when Kyle Farnsworth has continued to struggle, and has started to complain. Gagne is exactly what the Yankees need, writes Joel Sherman.

• Wily Mo Pena, the subject of trade talks, has been raking of late, as mentioned within this notebook. With the trade deadline looming, there are no Manny Ramirez trade talks, writes Rob Bradford. Mike Timlin's right shoulder is aching.

• Larry Stone writes about the Mariners' interest in Al Reyes.

• Jason Isringhausen is not being traded, writes Joe Strauss.

• The Tigers are watching a whole lot of relievers, at a time when they need a reliever, writes Jon Paul Morosi.

• The Rangers have little more than a day before they must choose between the offers they've received for Mark Teixeira.

• Troy Renck expects the Rockies to make a deal for a reliever by the time the deadline rolls around.

• Mike Piazza may have played his last game with the Athletics, as Susan Slusser writes, and with scouts trailing him, he has been hitting.

• It's not likely that Josh Towers will be traded, writes Jeff Blair. The Blue Jays probably won't make a deal, writes Allan Ryan.

• Matt Morris may get traded, writes Andrew Baggarly.

• The Yankees have moved Joba Chamberlain into a relief role in the minors, to prepare him for promotion into the big leagues.

• The Mariners seem most interested in Al Reyes, writes Marc Topkin.

• The Twins' standing as a buyer or seller hangs in the balance, and Minnesota had a good weekend in Cleveland, making it more likely that the Twins will be buyers. Matt Garza had a very nice outing.

• The thought occurred to Jermaine Dye that he might have played his last game for the White Sox.

• The Braves ended their losing streak, with authority.

• Bud Selig offered only a "no comment" when asked whether Gary Sheffield might get suspended.

• C.C. Sabathia is holding up his end of the bargain, but the rest of the Indians have not, on the days that he has pitched. Cleveland is accumulating prodigious strikeout totals, writes Jim Ingraham.

• The Padres scored 11 runs in the top of the first inning, and yet struggled to hang on. The Padres are talking about a possible deal for Mike Lamb, but as of Sunday evening, hadn't made much progress.

• Matt Belisle pitched OK, but was overmatched. An MRI revealed no structural damage in Aaron Harang's back.

• Carlos Beltran is likely headed to the disabled list, and the Mets will take it slow with Paul Lo Duca, writes Michael Morrissey. Jose Reyes knows only one speed, writes Johnette Howard.

• Ryan Madson may be out for the season; he said his shoulder sounded like it tore, as Sam Carchidi writes. The Phillies did have a great weekend, all in all, against the Pirates.

• Nobody could have had four tougher months than the Cardinals have endured, and yet here they are, right in the thick of the NL Central race, after ripping the guts out of the Brewers over the weekend, repeatedly.

• The Nationals are getting a chance to see a whole lot of young pitchers.

• The Pirates are in a free fall.

• Jose Canseco obviously needs money, says Joe Torre, after hearing about Canseco's hints of info on A-Rod.

• The steroid controversy is ignored at the Hall of Fame, writes Paul Hagen.

• Watched most of the Hall of Fame induction speeches, and what occurred to me, as Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken talked, is how much each of them must have been thinking of their fathers over the weekend. Tony was very close with Charles Gwynn, was devastated by his sudden death in 1993, and similarly, Cal revered his late father, his mentor, his model, his manager. The first time that Cal began to show some emotion during his speech was when he mentioned his dad. Cal is still shaping his legacy, writes Rick Maese.

Denny Matthews, the Royals broadcaster honored in Cooperstown, showed his sense of humor. The Hall of Fame is getting a class act in Rick Hummel, writes Bernie Miklasz.

• Very sad news about Bill Robinson, a longtime player and coach who was highly respected by his peers.

• During an interview over the weekend, former commissioner Fay Vincent had some interesting observations, as always.

On Bud Selig's handling of the Barry Bonds situation:

"I think Buddy's done it just about right. The only difference between him and me is that I wouldn't go and be at the game when Bonds hits the home run. He may be here at the HOF and that'd take care of it. I think what Bud said: "I'm gonna go 'cause it's baseball tradition and I respect the game, but if there's a celebration on the field I'm not gonna be part of that celebration."

On the investigation of former Senator George Mitchell:

"When George Mitchell called me and said I'm doing this job for Bud, I said, 'You will have to explain to all of us what happened in the '90s after I left -- what did Bud know and when did he know it?' I think it's a very important part of the Mitchell report, and it's not easy for George Mitchell. He was appointed by Bud. ... But I told Mitchell that, Mitchell agreed and said, 'I'm gonna do it.' So, in the report, will be the answers to those questions: What did Bud know, why didn't he do more, what were the owners doing? Were they standing around applauding when Sosa and McGwire were hitting home runs in '98, and was that all just benign neglect of the steroid problem? It may have been, but we don't know."

• Carlos Zambrano never loses, as Gordon Wittenmyer writes. Kerry Wood may be back with the Cubs this weekend.

• The Brewers are blowing leads, and their advantage in the NL Central has all but evaporated. Milwaukee doesn't know why it is so bad on the road. Watched a lot of Milwaukee's late innings against the Cardinals, and this is apparent: If the Brewers' bullpen doesn't began performing much better, Milwaukee has no chance of making the playoffs. The Brewers' bullpen has to be good.

• Judging by how the Angels played this weekend, they might not need much help from a trade. The Angels continue to scramble to address their pitching issues.

• The red-hot Diamondbacks had a bad day.

• Jason Jennings got pounded and Morgan Ensberg was cut, and neither situation helps the standing of Tim Purpura, writes Richard Justice. The Astros are looking to trade Ensberg. The day was pretty much an embarrassment, says Jennings .

• The Dodgers just need to start playing better, says Russ Martin. Jeff Kent strained a hamstring.

• The Rockies have planted themselves right into the thick of the NL West race, writes Jack Etkin. Chris Iannetta has hit himself right onto the bench.

• There is news within this notebook about Brett Butler, the former Dodger who suffered a mild stroke over the weekend.

• The Rangers had some very bad days against the Royals, as Dave Sessions writes.

• Tampa Bay's pitching held off the Red Sox. Carl Crawford is hurting.

• Miguel Cabrera was The Man for the Marlins, who shut down Barry Bonds over the weekend.

• Ichiro already has 1,500 hits.

• The Barry Bonds show is moving to SoCal, writes John Shea. Dave Roberts hopes fans in L.A. show some respect to Bonds.

In light of the trade deadline, there will be a blog on Tuesday, no blog on Thursday or Friday.

According to foxsports.com, the Braves are also the front runners in the chase to land Dotel from the Royals
which sucks for any wickman owners (like myself) :p. but also sucks for any soriano owners too since he'll be jumping into a role behind wickman possibly (haven't seen anything about them trading wickman, but that could always be an outside shot).

which sucks for any wickman owners (like myself) :p. but also sucks for any soriano owners too since he'll be jumping into a role behind wickman possibly (haven't seen anything about them trading wickman, but that could always be an outside shot).

no he wont, soriano is the braves 8th inning man

so that drops Wickman down into mopup in 7th inning work if he keeps choking on the road.....

ya, he will do spot work

villareal handles long work

moylan handles mid relief

Pizza Paronto and Fatass Yates will jerk each other off in the clubhouse hopefully

Jul 30 John Hickey, of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, reports according to sources, the Atlanta Braves have acquired CL Octavio Dotel from the Kansas City Royals in exchange for SP Kyle Davies.

im a big braves fan, and it looks like im one of the few people that thinks this was a terrible move for them... teixeira's numbers arent even that good...salty is going to be amazing, i'd rather they just continued to groom him at 1B

Back