[MLB] Scott Podsednik hit in face by fan

Dark|Dragon

Veteran X
8.8_pod_gett.jpg

This happened during last night's White Sox/Yankees game. I'm suprised it wasn't posted and didn't see much press beyond SportsCenter's #1 play today. After Red Sox fans took a lot of flak for the Gary Sheffield incident, Podsednik is hit much more obviously in my opinion and showed a lot more class then Sheffield. I know he made the catch, but this guy got hit in the face while doing his job. Podsednik should be commended and Yankee fans can't say much about the Sheffield incident anymore. Every fan should've learned back in April to get out of the way when a ball is in play.

*EDIT*
Video (you need to left-click it and have it open WMP): http://a1503.v108692.c10869.g.vm.ak...chive08/080805_chanya_podsednik_catch_350.wmv

Gary Sheffield .gif for comparison: http://boston.com/images/sports/redsox/2004/sheff-house-07.gif

Last edited:
Dark|Dragon said:
Every fan should've learned back in April to get out of the way when a ball is in play.

the fans should of learned when jermaine o'neal, ron artest, and stephen jackson broke people's faces

ya...looks like the guy is reaching to try and catch the ball and whatshisname's face flew into his hand

if you're jumping into the stands, expect to run into a fan or two...they PAID for that seat

Special---K said:
ya...looks like the guy is reaching to try and catch the ball and whatshisname's face flew into his hand

if you're jumping into the stands, expect to run into a fan or two...they PAID for that seat

I agree you should expect that, but the fan was reaching out over the playing field. If the fan made contact with the player in the seating area, then yeah it'd be fair game.

Dark|Dragon said:
I agree you should expect that, but the fan was reaching out over the playing field. If the fan made contact with the player in the seating area, then yeah it'd be fair game.

well I didn't see it and it doesn't look like that in the photo

it looks like the ball flew into the stands

I agree though...it sucks when a fan steals a catch that doesn't clear the wall on its own

The fan's hand makes contact with Podsednik's face over the playing field, which I don't believe is allowed even if part of their body is in the stands. Now if the fan made contact with the glove that would've been ok. All this makes it even more amazing that Podsednik was able to make the catch.

The way his arm is contorted, I don't think he's throwing a punch.

Unless he's really fucking weird and doesn't know how to punch people or something.

And, considering how his hand his turned, his knuckles DIDn't hit the white sox guy, just fingers and palm, which isn't going to be devastating.

posednik came down with the ball too.

I was about 400 feet away... we had no idea at the stadium

He doesnt get punched, he gets touched by the fan in the face. It wasnt anything violent and delibereate like the Sheff incident. Sheff showed a unbelievable amount of restraint during the incident and thats why he didnt get fined/suspended.

he's eye's are closed because this happened so fast and he flinched/spazzed out. stop trying to make it into more than it is.

i also remember you defending the red sox fan in that initial thread, so :shrug:

im pretty sure the force of a 200 pound body hitting straight into your fist is going to either

break your wrist or

move it out of the way

i am not claiming the fan punched the player, but that does look as if the fan is throwing a punch

you are retarded if you think otherwise

-cyanide- said:
special k

it looks a lot more like a punch than a catch attempt

please stop posting

uhh..how the hell do you punch?

his wrist and elbow are turned UP

the only reason his fingers are closed is because the player's FACE is hitting it

he is clearly trying to lean over and catch the ball like the guy to the left of him in the photo

they both have bad aim

Back