[Military Guys] How best to train for PJ (USAF)

I'm in the Air Force. What I'm about to tell you is based upon my observations of those training for PJ, SERE, combat controller, etc

Train to get the 1.5 mile in less than 10 minutes and be able to do at least 60 - 65 pushups in 60 seconds before you arrive at basic.

If you show up to basic in shape, you have a better change of graduating from PJ tech school. For those that could potentially cut it, many drop out because their body can't put up with the stress.

Honestly, if I was you, get your 1.5 mile as close to 9 minutes as possible, and get your pushups around 80 in 60 seconds.

The form on those exercises will kill you. You might think, "Hey 50 in 2 minutes, thats easy." And you'd be wrong. Its somewhat subjective, but chances are at that level you are going to run into a grader who considers drilling form to be some sort of hazing ritual he gets to do. And its not something that can really be described over the internet. What ever you think it is, its probably more strict.

Some decent advice would be to practice doing both decent form fast, and doing them really slow. I.E. for the push ups, do 1 slow perfect pushup every 2 seconds, and be able to do that for a solid 2 minutes.

I had the highest swim qual that you can have as a marine but I doubt it's anything compared to pararescue.

I remember I had to tread water for 30 mins for one of the later parts and save a teacher that was acting like he was drowning(the fucker tried to bring you down with him). This was 9 years ago so I don't really remember shit.

that shit was so fucking gay

fuck mccws

i had a platoon sergeant when i was in texas who was an instructor and would do pool PT with us every day on our lunch break from class... I've never come so close to drowning before.

fuck that swimming shit, I sit at a desk.

I took the test in Basic, it doesn't look like it has changed other than you're given points based on your time/number of reps completed, in 98` it was either pass/fail.

One thing to be mindful of is pacing yourself, your legs will start to feel like jello by the time you get to the flutter kicks.

If you have problems passing this test, then you'll have to really push yourself to get through the tech school, it is far more intense.

I have nothing really to add as I'm AF intel (on the enlisted side). My job qualifications were no where near what you will have to endure. If this is something you really want then just stay focused and don't let anybody tell you that you can't. Good luck, dude.

I went to a D1 college on an athletics scholarship and I trained very hard for five years, running, lifting, everything. I am confident that I could do all those requirements. But the fucking second someone tries to drown me i'm gone!!!!

Good luck dude! Train hard, pass, and save some lives!

The form on those exercises will kill you. You might think, "Hey 50 in 2 minutes, thats easy." And you'd be wrong. Its somewhat subjective, but chances are at that level you are going to run into a grader who considers drilling form to be some sort of hazing ritual he gets to do. And its not something that can really be described over the internet. What ever you think it is, its probably more strict.

Some decent advice would be to practice doing both decent form fast, and doing them really slow. I.E. for the push ups, do 1 slow perfect pushup every 2 seconds, and be able to do that for a solid 2 minutes.

This is absolutely true. I had a buddy in my basic flight that was going PJ. He went over to the PJ guys that were on Lackland, and the first thing they did was see how many pushups he could do. The first thing they did then was critique his form.

Also, Air Force and Army standards a little bit different.

Army: 2 mile run, 50+ pushups in two minutes, 50+ situps in two minutes

Air Force: 1.5 mile run, 50+ pushups in one minute, 50+ situps in one minute

But whatever the standards are are irrelevant for your PJ training. You have to go way above and beyond.

How many months do you have before you leave for basic?

Doing a five mile 1500 feet elevation hike this afternoon with a backpack loaded with water filled 2 liter bottles. Just did my morning 3 sets of push-ups and sit ups. slowly but surely improving.

:huh:

There's no fucking way they can do that...

Is there?

:huh:

you have to hold your breath underwater until you pass out divers watch you the entire time. Once you go limp they pull you out and do CPR.

I think seals do this as well

who the f*ck would want to go through that brutal training. Unless there was a real war I'd probably never go for it.

Back