[mechanic bros][mr jimmy pop] 10/2 battery charging

so i havent started my infiniti in like 6 months since i have 2 other vehicles

i plan on selling it but the battery is long dead and its been below zero

i have it plugged into a 10/2 amp charger on the 10 setting and the amp/volt meter will click on 10 for a second then click off then back on again

is the battery fried? are the connectors bad? is this going to blow up in my face

what is the deal

thanks

sincerely,
money ma$e

the charger is overheating. there's a high chance that the battery sulfated while being stored dead (they self discharge). there's also a chance it could be "good enough" for the few months until you sell it.. try seeing if it will stay on with the 2-amp charge. let it charge for at least 8-12 hours this way. then see if it will accept 10A for a little while. once it reads that it's charged, put it back to 2A and let it go overnight.

i dont think the charger is overheating

its clicking on and off like a metronome

the 2 amp charge was enabled but it still clicks to 10 then back off, its really strange

the battery itself is only a year old or so

im going to let it run for awhile and hope it doesnt blow up the neighborhood and give me acid burn face

im not going to add water, thats too hands on 4 money ma$e

id rather just buy a new battery

It's not overheating, it's overloading the charger and the overload protector is clicking. Battery is done dude.

At this point you may not even be able to jump start it, the battery has a dead short in it.

Last edited:
Bo to local junkyard pick up a battery for $25, I think they will give you $5 for the dead one. Once a battery goes completely dead for a long period of time they hardly ever come back

Yup. Car batteries are more likely to freeze and break when fully discharged. The plates inside can get shoved around and touch, creating the condition you describe.

Bo to local junkyard pick up a battery for $25, I think they will give you $5 for the dead one. Once a battery goes completely dead for a long period of time they hardly ever come back

Yup. Match the post orientation and size as closely as you can. If it's a pull your own kind of place, take a volt meter and test before you pull. A good one should have over 12 volts.

Don't get the house brand battery. They look like shit and don't last. Any potential buyer will think you cheaped out on the maintenance too. When they ask why you replaced it, you can tell them you didn't want to drive it in the salt, and the battery went flat and froze.

i am selling my car that died and just bought the cheapest battery I could find. its got a salvage title anyway they won't be that concerned with the battery.

When the voltage in a battery drops from use or from prolonged storage, the chemical process exchanges electrons from the lead in the cell plates and the electrolyte solution producing water and lead sulphate as byproducts.

The water will oxidize and corrode the lead plates that make up the 6 cells of a 12 volt car battery. The lead sulphate builds up on the surface of the plates and hardens into a crystalline structure that will permanently reduce the active lead surface area in contact with electrolyte. In winter, the water content of the cells can turn to ice which will expand to separate and crack cell plates breaking the internal electrical circuit within the battery.

If your battery is frozen solid, it will not charge and there is a risk of explosion if you attempt to do so. Even if thawed out, physical damage to the battery will often leave the battery dysfunctional and unable to retain a charge. Generally, the battery is effectively destroyed and should be replaced if it shows signs of having frozen. Excessive swelling of the battery case can cause cracks that will leak acidic fluid if the battery ever thaws out.

Even if the battery did not freeze, prolong storage in a discharged state may have damaged the cell structure preventing it from taking or retaining a charge.

TLDR - Your battery is ruined. Get a new one. Don't store Car Batteries without a maintainence charge applied to them. Never let a car battery drop in voltage during winter or it will freeze and be ruined.

Last edited:
so i havent started my infiniti in like 6 months since i have 2 other vehicles

i plan on selling it but the battery is long dead and its been below zero

i have it plugged into a 10/2 amp charger on the 10 setting and the amp/volt meter will click on 10 for a second then click off then back on again

is the battery fried? are the connectors bad? is this going to blow up in my face

what is the deal

thanks

sincerely,
money ma$e
It should of occurred to you that battery charges have low settings for a reason. Only a fuktard would start a full charge an a near dead battery, in so doing you probably caused the shorts. having owned a vehicle terms like "trickle charge" etc. should of been known to you.

But hey, you could of googled all of this, why come here for an answer? Because you don't need an answer, you're seeking to reinstate the money ma$e brand.

At any rate I'd really like you to call BS on me, so why not post (are you listening to this HK?) pics of you in your cars. This would unquestionable reinstate the money ma$e brand (garnering you valuable e-penis points) and make a fool of yours truly :)

Seems like a can't-say-no proposition to me.

/beatdown resumes

a trickle charge isnt going to do shit on a battery thats been dead for 6 months u fecal matter painting moron

the clicking was caused because of a poor connection with the rusted terminal

it stays on now but its not doing anything so new batter it is

Back