Maybe Tribes should be taken out of the title

Zarick

Veteran X
Not that this isn't a tribes game, but a lot of people (myself included) have expectations when people leave something in the title. For example Asherons call 2. We all expected a game similar to asherons call. Even though they told us it wouldn't be. And it turned out total different, with the same world.

So maybe you should call it vegenece and drop tribes so no one expects it to be anything like tribes 1 or tribes 2.

But it is like Tribes 1 and Tribes 2 and it is centered in the Tribes timeline and uses the Tribes' tribes.

By your logic Tribes 2 shouldn't have been called Tribes because of people's expectations after T1.

Tribes 2 and tribes 1 were very similar, Tribes 2 was just horribly unfinished. TV is very different (I am not saying this is bad). I am not saying its not a part of tribes. I am saying people are less likely to be upset about changes if you call it vengence and say... this isn't tribes.. its a different game.

Zarick said:
Not that this isn't a tribes game, but a lot of people (myself included) have expectations when people leave something in the title. For example Asherons call 2. We all expected a game similar to asherons call. Even though they told us it wouldn't be. And it turned out total different, with the same world.

So maybe you should call it vegenece and drop tribes so no one expects it to be anything like tribes 1 or tribes 2.

To be honest, if we're adopting this policy, T2 doesn't deserve the Tribes title either.

What is the point with this anyways? Is this some sort of way of cutting down T:V by disassociating it with the last two games?

It's Tribes. It has Tribes gameplay. It's set in the Tribes universe. What else do you need to call it Tribes?

Zarick said:
Tribes 2 and tribes 1 were very similar, Tribes 2 was just horribly unfinished. TV is very different (I am not saying this is bad). I am not saying its not a part of tribes. I am saying people are less likely to be upset about changes if you call it vengence and say... this isn't tribes.. its a different game.

That's completely untrue. Tribes 2 was incredibly different from T1. I remember many people doing what you're doing now. They were trying to deny it the Tribes name because it didn't live up to their expectations.

Superman 2,3, and 4 were nothing like the original despite still having Superman in them. Because they were so different, I think they should have named part 2 "DINGO" part 3 "HUCKLEBERRY" and part 4 "CHICKEN NUGGET" in order to eliminate confusion.

Zarick said:
It has jetpacks, disc launchers, mortars, skiing, massive outdoor combat, natural teamplay and part of the Tribes timeline in the single player. How is it not Tribes?

Amadeu5 said:
It has jetpacks, disc launchers, mortars, skiing, massive outdoor combat, natural teamplay and part of the Tribes timeline in the single player. How is it not Tribes?

well, it's not T1 with better graphics, so many people have sandy vaginas. it'll be a great service to the community if they follow through with their jerking and never buy the game.

I alternate between the 2 all the time and if I pick up a repair pack, shield pack, health kit, standard nade, epack, mortar, plasma gun, laser rifle, chaingun, deployable turret, on and on I could go They are pretty much the same between the 2 games. Ya a lot of the physics are dumbed down in tribes 2. Unfortunately dumbing things down because they seem unfair to new players is the way of the world now. However in T:V most of these things will act differently. This makes it far more different.

Zarick said:
I alternate between the 2 all the time and if I pick up a repair pack, shield pack, health kit, standard nade, epack, mortar, plasma gun, laser rifle, chaingun, deployable turret, on and on I could go They are pretty much the same between the 2 games. Ya a lot of the physics are dumbed down in tribes 2. Unfortunately dumbing things down because they seem unfair to new players is the way of the world now. However in T:V most of these things will act differently. This makes it far more different.

differant, but still tribes. you seem to have a weird view of what makes tribes tribes.

Zarick said:
Most of what you mention here is not a true staple to the Tribes franchise. What is however, will only have minor differences compared to T1/2, if any.

I guess when I look at a sequel I look at things like resident evil series, silent hill series, etc. Same game mechanics, new stories, new items, new maps. Not a complete change of game mechanics. To me thats a different game.

Your list:

Repair Pack
Shield Pack
E-pack
Mortar
Plasma Gun
Laser Rifle
Chaingun
Deployable Turret

Yes, these will act differently, but not enough to change the game's name. After all, they're still IN the game.

Repair pack still repairs, just without a gun.
Shield pack still shields, and is even more useful than the last one.
E-pack is exactly like before, except you can also boost.
Mortar is exactly the same. Why is this on your list?
The plasma gun's analog is very similar to the plasma gun.
The laser rifle's analog is very similar to the laser rifle.
The chaingun acts almost exactly the same.
Deployable turrets are merely distributed differently.

Etc etc. Nothing has changed insofar that you couldn't recognize those items and how to use their functions in T:V.

Edit: In addition, Tribes 2 altered CORE GAMEPLAY MECHANICS. That makes it far different from T:V, which MAINTAINS CORE GAMEPLAY MECHANICS.

Capped skiing will forever make T2 base more different from any other base.

Zarick said:
I guess when I look at a sequel I look at things like resident evil series, silent hill series, etc. Same game mechanics, new stories, new items, new maps. Not a complete change of game mechanics. To me thats a different game.
T:V will never really have different game mechanics until skiing and jetpacks are there. The grappling hook only enchances these mechanics at the very most.

I didnt get that the epack didnt change. According to what I read the epack now only increases the regen rate of you energy. Where as in Tribes 1 you will be able to fly a little higher and a little farther with the epack. Which gives me the impression it is different. I tested this on blastside and the epack definetly allows you to fly higher. Here you need a burst.

However thats not the point. The point is most of the items will function differently... this changes the mechanics.

I agree capped skiing was one of the worst things that ever happened to tribes 2.

Zarick said:
I didnt get that the epack didnt change. According to what I read the epack now only increases the regen rate of you energy. Where as in Tribes 1 you will be able to fly a little higher and a little farther with the epack. Which gives me the impression it is different. I tested this on blastside and the epack definetly allows you to fly higher. Here you need a burst.

However thats not the point. The point is most of the items will function differently... this changes the mechanics.

I agree capped skiing was one of the worst things that ever happened to tribes 2.
You are regenerating energy while jetting.

Capped skiing will forever make T2 base more different from any other base.

Actually what changed it to that extent was not that the cap was there, but that it was so ridiculously low. If it were capped at 400-500kph, I doubt that as many people would have gone ballistic over it. The low speed cap also excerbated the floaty feel and drove people coming in from T1 nuts.

I kinda liked it for a little while, as it was damn easy to play with compared to T1...
That lasted a whole 24 hours.

Back