Maya

Zwitterion

Veteran XV
is it really that hard to learn? I looked for some tutorials but they're all complicated. I searched and i found some links, they were'nt very useful tho. Anyone have better ones?

Yes it's hard. And even if you learn how to use it, if you don't have any artistic ability you're pretty much wasting your time.

it's not that hard if you have previous 3D expirience... i mean..it's all verticies and polygons. But if you're just starting then yeah, it could be a bit intimidating.( i personally love some aspects of it, but then i feel like i spend a lot of time looking for certain settings/parameters, seems hidden to me).

But anyways, I'd suggest choosing a different 3D app to start, and also, you have to actually DO those tutorials, just reading wont help and it will make it seem complicated, but when u actually start doing them it shouldnt be too bad.

I've tried max, lightwave, and just started maya last week.

Maya by far was the easiest to learn for me, b/c they force feed you everything you need to know to get started. Maya 5 anyways.

I also really like how selction methods are done via object. So instead of being in face/point/edge mode for the program, you choose per mesh.

I dunno, I really like the interface, I think it's great.

You need to check out 3DBUZZ.com. They have some of the most amazing downloadable video tutorials for most all of the 3D progs. Best of all the vids are all FREE!!!

-MT-Stealth said:
it's not that hard if you have previous 3D expirience... i mean..it's all verticies and polygons. But if you're just starting then yeah, it could be a bit intimidating.( i personally love some aspects of it, but then i feel like i spend a lot of time looking for certain settings/parameters, seems hidden to me).

But anyways, I'd suggest choosing a different 3D app to start, and also, you have to actually DO those tutorials, just reading wont help and it will make it seem complicated, but when u actually start doing them it shouldnt be too bad.

Maya is best with Nurbs which is fairly different than polygon stuff though with previous experience in programs like max you would have a much easier time picking it up for sure.

Fool said:
Yes it's hard. And even if you learn how to use it, if you don't have any artistic ability you're pretty much wasting your time.

110% correct. If you have no artistic talent or creativity, don't even bother wasting your time.

Oh by the way you need to sign up on 3DBUZZ to be able to download the videos but it's not a problem. They hardly ever spam you. I've gotten maybe two emails from them in a year.

Back