[May 3 Free-to-Play Release] Midair

<rant mode>

i didnt want to talk too much about the shortcomings of the game before release cuz i didn't want to color anyones opinions before they got a chance to play, but i really feel like the game needed to wait longer to release - and putting it out in this state has really burned their opportunity to build a big community

i feel like archetype, whether intentionally or not, created an environment where any kind of feedback that wasn't 'this game is great, we love it!' was ignored or pointless

by treating the people who tried to give feedback either with contempt or telling them that they were wrong and that the devs knew better than them, or by ignoring feedback in general with 'oh we're reading we just dont respond because why would we respond to our community'

so i got to a point where imo it was a waste of time to even try to talk to devs or about problems

but there are some really glaring balance issues that imo needed to be sorted out before you let 1000 randoms in to have a first impression, so im just gonna dump all my criticism here where the devs won't read it or can ignore it cuz 'tribalwar'

game issues:

shield pack absorbs way too much damage (nearly double the T1 shield did) and uses energy slower and regens it faster

vehicles are OP and stupid and annoying and ive seen a bunch of players ragequit because 5 people trying to attack one shrike couldnt do anything against it

bases are basically pointless now, turrets are far too easy to deploy, assets are repaired and re-deployed far too easily and can be deployed and powered without a base

the general capper/defense balance is out of whack and defense needs a ton of teamwork to stop a solo capper (or land a midair/bb which isnt reliable unless you're stork)

laggy/warpy/packet lossy cappers are far too hard to hit and are nearly invincible

depth perception is very difficult to judge and the game doesn't look great imo, looks worse than previous tribes games while running worse FPS-wise

IFF clutter is out of control

mortar model is huge and blocks view if you aim high enough. and just a personal opinion but i think all the weapon models are terrible and look like they were 3-d printed when someone was running low on ABS (especially the really really really terrible penis pump grenade launcher model)

impulse is weak and its very hard to move a HoF especially if they have a shield pack and can literally tank 18 direct discs before dying (compared to 8-10 in t1)

the UI is terrible... like, everything u do to interact with the game doesn't work well. i could write an essay on the bad UI alone

the game is crashy and if i try to join a friends game from steam w/o the game open, it launches the game and freezes at the popup you have to click 'ok' to bypass

the side-grade weapons of T:A have been replaced with side-grade packs instead, there's something like 30+ pack combos none of which are clearly explained. good job 'simpifying' the new user experience

very often i cant refresh the server lists and have to close and re-open the game

i've tried playing with oldschool players and i have to spend a ridiculous amount of time explaining odd decisions and justifying dumb shit, and these are tribes vets - i can't imagine how bad an impression it leaves on someone without anyone to hold their hands and explain un-intuitive shit like 'snipes and chain are less effective against shield than anything else' which no one would know until they duel with every weapon against a shielded heavy (and even then its not obvious) or it was explained somewhere (which it isnt)

imo the only way to really have fun in pubs is to troll with the OP shit hoping that it makes newbs rage hard enough that archetype starts to listen to their feedback, but by then it's too late and the game is already in a downward spiral that will probably end up with the same 20 people playing PUs and that's it

and honestly i think a lot of players that want the game to succeed are being intentionally obtuse and making every excuse they can for the devs/game which imo drives more people away rather than actually admitting there are issues and being open to changes

i could keep going but no one will read this anyways so meh

</rant mode>

well yeah

did you expect me to play fuckin T:A? :)

of course I haven't played Tribes in years, that's why this is giving me such a boner!

Groove is probably right, but I gotta say none of those issues have stopped me having a blast in pubs all weekend

we're all too old and busy for a new serious comp game anyway, so who gives a fuck?

just feels so good to ski and fly and disc again my bros :sunny:

i've only played a very limited amount (like grand total maybe 15 minutes)

but i agree with groove about the depth perception. it's way way off, doesn't feel right at all. hope they can do something to address it.

i recall HiRez talking about depth perception in T:A and how they had issues with it when developing T:A - not sure if its an Unreal unit problem or what....but T:As depth perception is better than Midair for sure.

You only think you're enjoying the game because of the power of nostalgia and the people you are playing with. Once that wears off everyone'll get sick of how much the game sucks and quit playing.

i've only played a few hours of it but after you get used to the skiing and weapons its a lot more fun.

its pretty easy to MA people and you can still melt a light with one clip of the cg close range so idk its fun 2 me :>

groove i read it and have to agree

solo cappers running routes are almost always guaranteed to cap the flag

body blocks are like literally the only viable defense against them and its hit or miss

hof with shield is way over powered too -- especially if ld or turrets are guarding them

the scout like vehicle is bull shit too way op

this is a critical point in the games life to fix some of this shit or else theyre gonna lose the player base because the game is essentially broken in its current form

i've only played a very limited amount (like grand total maybe 15 minutes)

but i agree with groove about the depth perception. it's way way off, doesn't feel right at all. hope they can do something to address it.

i recall HiRez talking about depth perception in T:A and how they had issues with it when developing T:A - not sure if its an Unreal unit problem or what....but T:As depth perception is better than Midair for sure.

The depth perception is frustrating. I didn't know how awful it truly was until I played some map where the ground is all shades of red. No texture, just red.

Also everything that Groove said.

solo cappers running routes are almost always guaranteed to cap the flag

body blocks are like literally the only viable defense against them and its hit or miss
Maybe this is just my lack of clan experience talking, but hasn't that always been the case? Whenever the flag is in the open, a capper is going to do whatever they can to shoot through the stand as quickly as possible. I don't recall open stands in T1 or T2 being any easier to defend in this respect.

at the very least in t1 you could spam the flag to stop a route runner

the depth perception is so off tho good luck trying that in midair

<rant mode>

i didnt want to talk too much about the shortcomings of the game before release cuz i didn't want to color anyones opinions before they got a chance to play, but i really feel like the game needed to wait longer to release - and putting it out in this state has really burned their opportunity to build a big community

i feel like archetype, whether intentionally or not, created an environment where any kind of feedback that wasn't 'this game is great, we love it!' was ignored or pointless

by treating the people who tried to give feedback either with contempt or telling them that they were wrong and that the devs knew better than them, or by ignoring feedback in general with 'oh we're reading we just dont respond because why would we respond to our community'

so i got to a point where imo it was a waste of time to even try to talk to devs or about problems

but there are some really glaring balance issues that imo needed to be sorted out before you let 1000 randoms in to have a first impression, so im just gonna dump all my criticism here where the devs won't read it or can ignore it cuz 'tribalwar'

game issues:

shield pack absorbs way too much damage (nearly double the T1 shield did) and uses energy slower and regens it faster

vehicles are OP and stupid and annoying and ive seen a bunch of players ragequit because 5 people trying to attack one shrike couldnt do anything against it

bases are basically pointless now, turrets are far too easy to deploy, assets are repaired and re-deployed far too easily and can be deployed and powered without a base

the general capper/defense balance is out of whack and defense needs a ton of teamwork to stop a solo capper (or land a midair/bb which isnt reliable unless you're stork)

laggy/warpy/packet lossy cappers are far too hard to hit and are nearly invincible

depth perception is very difficult to judge and the game doesn't look great imo, looks worse than previous tribes games while running worse FPS-wise

IFF clutter is out of control

mortar model is huge and blocks view if you aim high enough. and just a personal opinion but i think all the weapon models are terrible and look like they were 3-d printed when someone was running low on ABS (especially the really really really terrible penis pump grenade launcher model)

impulse is weak and its very hard to move a HoF especially if they have a shield pack and can literally tank 18 direct discs before dying (compared to 8-10 in t1)

the UI is terrible... like, everything u do to interact with the game doesn't work well. i could write an essay on the bad UI alone

the game is crashy and if i try to join a friends game from steam w/o the game open, it launches the game and freezes at the popup you have to click 'ok' to bypass

the side-grade weapons of T:A have been replaced with side-grade packs instead, there's something like 30+ pack combos none of which are clearly explained. good job 'simpifying' the new user experience

very often i cant refresh the server lists and have to close and re-open the game

i've tried playing with oldschool players and i have to spend a ridiculous amount of time explaining odd decisions and justifying dumb shit, and these are tribes vets - i can't imagine how bad an impression it leaves on someone without anyone to hold their hands and explain un-intuitive shit like 'snipes and chain are less effective against shield than anything else' which no one would know until they duel with every weapon against a shielded heavy (and even then its not obvious) or it was explained somewhere (which it isnt)

imo the only way to really have fun in pubs is to troll with the OP shit hoping that it makes newbs rage hard enough that archetype starts to listen to their feedback, but by then it's too late and the game is already in a downward spiral that will probably end up with the same 20 people playing PUs and that's it

and honestly i think a lot of players that want the game to succeed are being intentionally obtuse and making every excuse they can for the devs/game which imo drives more people away rather than actually admitting there are issues and being open to changes

i could keep going but no one will read this anyways so meh

</rant mode>
YES

The fact that I cant find a energy pack is a fucking joke.

These two things alone sound awful.

Back