Map Network Drive Problem?

perro

Veteran XV
I have a really weird issue here at work related to mapping network drives and I have no clue what it is.

Problem:
-Computer running Vista Basic (i know...) connected to central server.
-Multiple network drives mapped successfully for the last few months, exchange works fine, sql database connections working fine, etc
-All of a sudden only the mapped drives no longer connect (can't remap, can't access the server drives directly in any way
-exchange is still working fine, numerous programs which rely on networked paths to files/databases work fine still (really odd), but can't explore directly or map new ones

I've tried basically everything I can think of and even had our IT company look into it for the last few days with no progress. Any ideas?

a lot of times vista causes wooden like protrusions to grow within the ethernet ports similar to that of the Indonesian Tree Man (link). This is caused mainly by the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), which is embedded in the code of Vista. using a coarse piece of paper, rub vigorously in a back/forth motion until the wood is filed down.

cliffs: sandpaper

I have a really weird issue here at work related to mapping network drives and I have no clue what it is.

Problem:
-Computer running Vista Basic (i know...) connected to central server.
-Multiple network drives mapped successfully for the last few months, exchange works fine, sql database connections working fine, etc
-All of a sudden only the mapped drives no longer connect (can't remap, can't access the server drives directly in any way
-exchange is still working fine, numerous programs which rely on networked paths to files/databases work fine still (really odd), but can't explore directly or map new ones

I've tried basically everything I can think of and even had our IT company look into it for the last few days with no progress. Any ideas?

Have you rebooted the box and this still happens? I ran into this the other day and I rebooted the box and all was well.

server has been rebooted. Cannot connect via IP (error 0x80070035).

I have another computer in the office that is vista basic and connects completely fine...

The part that weirds me out is the fact that exchange is working fine (which pulls from the same server) and some programs which rely on paths to networked drives work fine

example: database is stored at O:/databases
O: is a network drive
O cannot be explored or connected to through IP, but the program relying on the database in O: is able to connect fine...wtf

I have another computer in the office that is vista basic and connects completely fine...

The part that weirds me out is the fact that exchange is working fine (which pulls from the same server) and some programs which rely on paths to networked drives work fine

O cannot be explored or connected to through IP, but the program relying on the database in O: is able to connect fine...wtf

i'm going to go ahead and assume that you're a local admin on the box then.

don't do that. make it a seperate local account. don't use a domain account. problem solved.

No have you rebooted the Vista Basic box? It's not a server issue it was a client issue when I saw it the other day.

yea it's been rebooted god knows how many times....

i fixed the problem based on some random ass thing I found on google. found a thread with lots of people who had similar issues. one guy pops in out of nowhere and says:

"change the LMcompatibility value from 3 to 1 in regedit>system>current>lsa"

I'll be honest, i have no fucking clue what this value is or why this fixed the issue...

anyone know what this value even does? I know its lan management stuff, but google isnt telling me much about the actual values

Back