[Map] Hilde Redux

Amadeus said:
Seems to be kinda small.

The base to base distance is slightly smaller than the T2 version (about 10-20m). The play area's gigantic in comparison though, you can barely see the bases on the spawn map. It plays good too, just ask anyone who played in the two PUs in which it was featured.

Zxqv8 said:
Whats down behind those FF's? A new base?

Three mine stations, to assist the LD in holding the flagstand.

Map looks kool. But dont know if ne1 is going to play any of the maps that you awesome mappers make. I just put a server called Tribes 2 server wannabe with just the classic maps only. So far I have only seen 1 person log on and play. So maybe you will have better luck with people playing your new map.

Map looks awesome bud ;)

hozerdude said:
Map looks kool. But dont know if ne1 is going to play any of the maps that you awesome mappers make. I just put a server called Tribes 2 server wannabe with just the classic maps only. So far I have only seen 1 person log on and play. So maybe you will have better luck with people playing your new map.

Map looks awesome bud ;)

Good points!

I'll clue you in that the maps being designed from this point on by any mappers are going to be for their own gratification or for competition play. The T:V public has never embraced downloading maps for pub play so mappers probably will not be designing maps for pubs any longer..

If you are intrested in running a server that will be populated, I suggest running either an LT server or an arena++ server, with the best maps for those gametypes in the servers rotation.

If the server becomes popular, people will download the maps to be able to continue to play.

You won't attract a big crowd to a no-name CTF server. The pubbers know what few are the best and those are the ONLY servers that get played.

My 2 cents.

yes what zio sayd is important. you need to build a following if you plan to start using download maps. basicly you need to run a normal ctf server and have a few friends to play on it to get people in(thats the big thing, when you sort by players in game, it puts the games with people on top, and theres often only 5 or 6 servers with people) and also keep it fairly regularly admined. then once the server is reasonably populated during normal times for a couple weeks, if you have a autodownload location set up and everything, you can feel free to just force the map to a custom map sometimes. certain known maps can be added to rotation at this point if you want. once you have consistent users, you can basicly run any of the less file intensive maps almost any time, just ask them if their ok with it. you dont want to use maps that have a lot of imported static meshes, textures, sounts and other things, because then the file gets so large it becomes a long download. but when the sword of the wolf server runs like my maps, people generaly can get i the game within 2-5 mins of map change, which isnt too bad. recently we ran a beta of my map in pub mode on the server and it realy didnt affect the population much, we still had like 16 people on my map.

however if you can get a group of 10 or so people to comit to playing on the server for a specific time frame(like 7 PM - 11 PM EST), and you have a map download autoredirect set up, you might be able to actualy build a group on a custom map server without the prior steps. if i see a server with a few people running custom maps, il go on it to help support the custom maps. more people in the server means more people want in the server, its that simple.

Back