[mandarb] What kind of snake is this?

Requiem

Contributor
Veteran XV
He is my new best friend. The picture makes him look much bigger then he was. Probably just a baby waiting to grow up and eat my dogs

2rdzqco.jpg

looks like a speckled racer, but it looks abit too fat to be a racer and I don't think a racer would chill in the water like that

When it comes to venomous snakes, babies are far more deadly than adults.

truth but its not because the poison is more potent or anything its because s babys they can not control the flow of venom and they will latch on and keep pumping ... where adults bite and get the fuck out.

What state are you in? There are a few species including Dekays and garters that appear similar to me, especially young garters.

:sunny:

im in Houston, Tx. I didnt think garters liked water but this guy was loving his morning bath

im in Houston, Tx. I didnt think garters liked water but this guy was loving his morning bath

I'm calling it a checkered garter like someone said above. I had hoped you were in a different state other then Texas because they have the most species that look similar to it. Could be a young common garter though.

They worms,frogs, and small fish at that size.

:sunny:

Thamnophis elegans

Thamnophis elegans or the Western Terrestrial Garter Snake is a species of colubrid snake residing only in Southwestern Canada, and Western United States. Seven subspecies are currently recognized. Most snakes have a yellow, light orange, or white dorsal stripe, accompanied by two stripes on its side of the same color. Some varieties have red or black spots between the dorsal stripe and the side stripes. This snake often inhabits coniferous forests, and is relatively aquatic. It an immensely variable species, and give even the most experienced herpetologist trouble when it comes to identification. They are a medium sized snake, at a size of about 18"-41". This snake is only one of two garter snakes known to cannibalise. It will eat just about anything it can find, and is found at altitudes of up to 13,000 feet (3,962 metres).

2dj5ut1.jpg

Back