Looking for a good HEPA Air Purifier for a workroom, medium sized, computer dust

OtakuMark

Veteran X
I'm looking for a good HEPA Air Purifier for a medium-sized room, preferably with a vacuumable filter or ionizer. Do any of you have any experience with these? I had a GE that worked great, but it uses four $23.00 filters and a $2.00 prefilter to change- the unit itself was $100.

Here's one I'm looking at, but it seems that it was described as 'portable'- it looks good but I'd need a medium sized one for a medium sized room.

Amazon.com: Honeywell 17000N Permanent Pure HEPA QuietCare Air Purifier: Kitchen & Dining

Have an older model Honeywell, works fine, not the quietest probably.

The ionizer's give off ozone which isn't the best thing to be breathing in, some have ozone filters now but I don't think they do that great of a job, maybe if you were trying to get rid of bad odors I'd use one.

Have an older model Honeywell, works fine, not the quietest probably.

The ionizer's give off ozone which isn't the best thing to be breathing in, some have ozone filters now but I don't think they do that great of a job, maybe if you were trying to get rid of bad odors I'd use one.

Quiet really doesn't matter in this case, it's a workroom anyway. Do you know the model of yours? I'd probably want to get one similar but without an ionizer I suppose.

Quiet really doesn't matter in this case, it's a workroom anyway. Do you know the model of yours? I'd probably want to get one similar but without an ionizer I suppose.

17440, on low sound's about as loud as your average PC tower case running.

same overall design as the one you linked, just older.

I ended up getting a Holmes $94 air purifier from Wal-Mart. I read good reviews on Amazon, and it uses Arm and Hammer filters+it's supposed to have good motor things in it. Will report back tomorrow for posterity's sake if it makes a air quality difference overnight. :)

Don't get an ionizer... they fuck your lungs up.
The one you linked to looks fine.
I have a honeywell big ol round thing (sits like a donut) in my music room. Loud but works, shut it off when in there; basically what you linked but a little bigger.

Last edited:
An ionizer is not the way to go. It will cause dust to blacken and stick to the insides of your lungs and computers. It's all gimmick. It is the tempurpedic of air purifying.

I have a holmes and it is OK. I tape the filter down so it has a tight seal. I keep it on low so it doesn't make much noise.

Of course, the first defence against dust is regular vacuuming, good filters on your vents with high MERV ratings, and opening your doors and windows to let fresh air in.

An ionizer is not the way to go. It will cause dust to blacken and stick to the insides of your lungs and computers. It's all gimmick. It is the tempurpedic of air purifying.

I have a holmes and it is OK. I tape the filter down so it has a tight seal. I keep it on low so it doesn't make much noise.

Of course, the first defence against dust is regular vacuuming, good filters on your vents with high MERV ratings, and opening your doors and windows to let fresh air in.

I bought a couple!!! of the sharper image pieces of garbage that were pure Ionizers... fuck. I used to be able to smell the ozone shit when I walked in the enclosed room... probably fucked up my lungs for future lung damage. One of the worst un-researched decisions I've ever made.

It seems to be working great, there's a noticeable difference in the workroom now. From what I read, this purifier uses GE motors and it's using Arm and Hammer filters- not bad for an item I ended up getting from Wal-Mart.

There's no ionizer and it's a "True HEPA" filtration system.

Back