London <-> NYC Manhattan

Aly

Veteran XX
I currently work in London and earn around 100K $ pa however due to stupidly high taxes and rent this leaves me with only around 38K $ saving per year. (no car! 2Bedroom condo)
My company could send me to NY with my present UK salary… what I wonder is what the taxes and living expenses in Manhattan are like. (The office is smack right next to Madison square garden)
Yeah, I am pretty much used to walking to the office, so no living too far away for me. (max 30mins)
Part of me really wants to go to the US again, I lived in LA during 2000-2002 but I suppose NY and LA are a whole lot different.

Help me NY people. Fraggle et all.

LOL

I think it's safe to say that you should expect to pay anywhere from $36000-$60000 a year in the city to rent a decent apartment in a decent area.

Going on 3k a month - 5k a month for a 2 bedroom.

I know my family rents out a 1 bed room 800 sq. ft apartment for $4,000 a month, but it's on Park Ave.

Last edited:
Just get a nice place in Bklyn or Queens and use the subway like the rest of us you uptight prick

it's probably cheaper than LA

edit: assuming you're living somewhere sensible and not in the middle of everything

If you're not looking for a city environment, then yes, Queens/Brooklyn isn't a bad alternative and you can commute to work via the Subway/LIRR (train depending on area).

i thought london was more costly than manhattan to live in? my friends lived in a passable 1bdrm place about 4 blocks from central park around 85th and i think they paid like 3K/month rent?

edit: oh you listed your salary in pounds - yea you should be fine.

my friend pays 2k/month for a 1 bedroom on fucking 95th and lex. on top of that...the place is small as hell...

You save 38% of your income, that's quite an accomplishment living in London. The average American has a negative savings rate.

Guys, I already gave converted US $ numbers!
I am not going to confuse you lot with Pound, pennies and farthings.

Back