Line 6 Spider IV 15

Man I remember way back when I use to think I could play guitar. I had a nice fender and went through several amps.

First amp was a little roland chorus cube amp...solid state but had nice chourus effect built in. Why did I want one. Because Alex Lifeson used one.

Then I got a Galien Kruger little mini amp when they first came out. Solid state but it sounded pretty damn good and it was the size of a little boom box. Although it was a great little practice amp it did have some of that generic solid state sound.

So then I thought I needed a tube amp. So I bought this beefy ass Laney 100watt combo amp. My Mom hated me. That thing shook the house literally. Way overkill. The only way to make that thing really hit that sweet spot was to krank it or I had to run an old digitech unit into it.

Then I bought a little fender combo amp with 10 speakers that was solid state. That was actually a really kickass little amp.

My point after all of this, is that I fell for the tube amps are better thing. Yes tube amps can sound great if you push them hard, but for small little gigs or practicing you dont need a tube amp. I'm totally out of all the latest gear these days, but its amazing the calibre of sound you can pull from some of the solid state devices available today. The Line 6 stuff I messed around with at the local guitar store was pretty cool.

I remember when I got my Marshall stack. DAMN that thing rocked. But it had to be cranked to get that 'sound'.

DSP changed all that.

Looks like a great amp, nice features. but $400 more dollars than I want to spend. It will strictly be a practice amp.

Understandable, but I don't get why so many people in this thread are under the impression that it's cool to buy the cheapest amp possible just because it's for practice. Even when I practice I want a good tone.

Also why not get into some amp modeling software. There's a couple cheap interfaces out there that when paired with some amp modeling software will allow way more flexibility than most of these amps will.

Also why not get into some amp modeling software. There's a couple cheap interfaces out there that when paired with some amp modeling software will allow way more flexibility than most of these amps will.

i was looking at that option, most of the stuff i seen is tailored for recording.

They're a little a pricey but I bought one of those StealthPedals. It's a computer interface in a stomp pedal type casing so you can use it to control effects within the software that you're using (ie. as a wah pedal).

They have others though that are cheaper and work great. Like the Guitarport from Line 6 for example. I wouldn't really say they are tailored for recording at all. Yes, they make it easy to do so if that's what you want but you can also just hook headphones up to them and play or output to speakers/monitors if you want something that's more like a traditional amp.

line6 stuff is cheap, sounds decent (solidstate or otherwise) and plays vry nice with your PC.

Choice is simple.

Back