Laptop NIC problem

daunt

Veteran X
(I took a look at the Tech forum and it hasn't seen a post in 2 weeks.)

I'm at home using Comcast. IP is obtained using DHCP. I just got a laptop with a Broadcom 570x integrated NIC. I am able to transfer files over my home network, which leads me to believe the NIC is not defective. However, whereas normally if a friend brings a computer over an IP normally automatically is assigned, this NIC refuses to obtain an external IP. Operating system is XP with SP1. I believe I've tried all the basic stuff, but perhaps I'm forgetting something. Any ideas out there?

I suck at networks, i have a course this semester. But from personal experience with the router i have they can be difficult over stupid shit.

I'm getting a similar problem. Gots me an aiport1 mac router shizzy and when we put the NIC's in well shit went apeshit. It's decent now but it disconnects a lot and it's very hard to obtain an IP. My bro figured it out but it took some time. Daunt, wait 5 minutes, i'll have your solution

It's such a beautiful laptop, too. d800 latitude from Dell. 4+ hours of battery life when taking it easy. I'm just praying the nic isn't defective, because that means it has to be shipped back. Their tech support was useless thus far. I was hoping maybe someone here could shine some light on this for me.

So you're using a hub and trying to get an external IP while still being on home network? You can only have one IP per NIC. Maybe another comp on your network hijacked the external IP. Try bypassing the hub and tell us what happens.

edit: i need to learn to read

Don't use DHCP, manually configure the IP. How are you running DHCP with a hub heh?

To clarify, I've had multiple computers on my hub before, as many as 5 at once. Never have I had a problem obtaining an IP.

did you reset everything when you bypassed the hub?? do you pay for an extra computer with comcast??

unless you bought a second IP address from your ISP you will not be able to obtain an IP from them.

unless you invest in a router.

DUR

The DHCP ain't local. It's what the provider uses. I've tried manually entering all the info based on what I have on this PC, but it hasn't made any difference. I see 170 packets send, and 30 received, but it hasn't done anything resembling obtaining an IP and functioning.

my second comp used to do that all the time off the router. and i would just do the extended router reset reset the modem and repeat as necesary

I realize normally you have to buy extra IPs, but the provider here has always been clueless. My friend brings his laptop over with auto detect settings and it immediately grabs an IP and works. No one really has an IP anymore. They just get what the network assigns. Back in the day we all had an official one, but that was back in the days when IPs began with 24. out here. We have 12.225s now.

YOU WILL NOT GET AN IP ADDRESS FOR TWO COMPUTERS FROM YOUR ISP UNLESS YOU PAID FOR TWO IP'S OR YOU HAVE A FUCKING ROUTER

Back