[Laptop] Battery Issue

Hitman

Veteran X
So I've loved my T61 and had almost no problems up until now. Now I've got a annoying one. (I've searched, but couldn't find anything on it specifically.)

Basically, about a week ago my computer started turning off whenever it got unplugged. After it turned off --not shut down, just went black-- the battery light flashed orange for a while. After I plugged the computer in and rebooted up, I had to select the "reboot as normal" option.

So I figured I need a new battery, no big deal. I bought a brand new one... but the problem still persists. I inspected all the connections between my battery and the notebook, and the cord and the notebook, and all look normal.

So my question is: Why does my computer turn off whenever I unplug it? Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?

The quote is from someones post on a notebook forum, but I am having the exact same problem. The issue was never resolved in the thread I took this from, but someone suggested that there might be a problem with the charging circuit on the motherboard.

Have any of you had similar issues/know what might be causing the laptop to shut off when a perfectly good battery is attached? (my computer is a lenovo T61 by the way).

there was a line of latitudes that had this problem too. was awhile ago and wasn't common but the switch where you plug in the power goes bad and doesn't route any power to charge the battery. iirc the only way to resolve that was to swap out the mobo but again iirc dell just sent us new units instead of sending out some tech to disassemble and put in a new mobo.

mobos aren't that expensive really, but its a PITA to change them out.

Your power jack is bad/broken/fucked up. Lucky for you, the DC jack is just a simple plug-in replacement on the T61. The last one I dealt with had one that would have to be soldered in.

there was a line of latitudes that had this problem too. was awhile ago and wasn't common but the switch where you plug in the power goes bad and doesn't route any power to charge the battery. iirc the only way to resolve that was to swap out the mobo but again iirc dell just sent us new units instead of sending out some tech to disassemble and put in a new mobo.

mobos aren't that expensive really, but its a PITA to change them out.

Well see I did a battery reset using some Lenovo software and the computer was able to fully discharge and then fully charge the battery. So I'm guessing that the actual power adapter/switch isn't the issue. Thanks for the input though.

Your power jack is bad/broken/fucked up. Lucky for you, the DC jack is just a simple plug-in replacement on the T61. The last one I dealt with had one that would have to be soldered in.

Could that be the cause even though the battery is charging fine?

Windows and my Lenovo Power Manager both say the Battery/everything is fine and will charge the battery.

Well does the battery fully charge or does it just say it is healthy and stuff? The last time I dealt with this problem, the laptop stated the battery was fine (but it was dead) since it was plugged in, but then the second I pull the plug out it would shut off. It worked off-and-on for a long time and then finally the DC jack completely went out and wouldn't work period.

It says it is healthy and the battery fully charges. I actually ordered a new battery a week ago because I thought that was the problem (since my other battery is 3 years old). I was able to fully charge the new battery (or so the computer says), but again when I unplugged the laptop shutoff immediately.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I can install the mobo myself, I just don't know if it's worth the cost. Do you know any good online retailers?

Back