Kurayami, Kurayami, Kurayami

Baby Bew said:
Do a lot of people play online?
Hyperlobby generally has around 300 people active at any one time. I never bother with the Ubi servers, but as far as I know they usually have a couple hundred on at any given time.

What's the online
Depends entirely on the server. Some have "arcadey" settings. The most popular ones are probably the realistic dogfight servers (think team death match,) but there are also a few big ones that ongoing campaigns.

and SP gameplay like?
SP is fine. The default dynamic missions can be a bit dry, but you can grab IL2DCG to change that. There are also a lot of really well done static player-made campaigns.

well, i suck at the flying in IL2. Any pointers on learning to fly well? I mean, in every way -tutorials, whatever.

Kurayami said:
Practice.

What do you have problems with specifically?

well
takeoff
flying in a straight line
climbing
descending
turning
landing
shooting
finding enemies
following maps

what i am good at:
loops, baby, loops

it was humbling though - i mean, i've flown cessnas before from the copilot seat and know a lot about aviation in general (shit dude i went to space camp @ 13 and watch wings etc :)) and yet i can't get the hang of the flightsims on the puter.

loop said:
That depends on the plane.

Engine torque will be the biggest factor. Figure out which way the engine pulls and apply plenty of rudder in the opposite direction as soon as you throttle up. Don't worry too much about over correcting because all you'll wind up doing is seesawing the nose back and forth if you try to keep compensating while getting up to speed.

Hold the brakes in while you run up the throttle... How high you should run it up for a good takeoff depends on the plane, but if you run it up too high while your brakes are engaged, the torque will start pulling you in circles. This is also why I say NOT to apply rudder until you're moving. All of the planes use the Russian style differential braking (the only thing the engine supports ATM... and it's close enough to the other styles to not be a major issue) which used rudder input to determine which wheels to lock, so you will start making donuts if you do it with your brakes on.

If you're flying a tail dragger, apply some forward pressure on the stick as soon as you get moving... You want to get the tail off the ground ASAP so that you can see where you're going. This will take some practice to get right. Some planes do well with a lot of pressure, others (like the La-5) will nose over if you do more than brush it (which is perfectly sensible since it was a wooden aircraft with a massively powerful engine in the nose.)

Once you're moving at a good clip (150km/h is probably a good point,) start easing back on the stick. Actual lift off depends on the aircraft you're flying, how much fuel you're carrying, and what your loadout is, but most single-engined planes should be airborne or close to it around 200km/h.

If you have your takeoff flaps down, wait until you get a bit of altitude before retracting them... most of the planes have a tendency to dip when they're brought in due to the loss in lift, and that can bring you right back into the runway if you aren't ready for it.

flying in a straight line
You'll have to trim the plane for this. In most rudder trim and a bit of elevator trim is enough, but some will also require aileron trim (I have all bound to the numpad.)

If you're drifting up and to the right, you'll need to apply negative elevator trim and left rudder trim.

Most aircraft have instrumentation to help you with this... The artificial horizon will tell you if you're flying level, and there are several kinds of instruments that show drift. Most use a ball (keep it centered and you're flying straight,) but some use a needle (and some use both.)

Trim needs to be adjusted with engine input, but unless you have made some sort of drastic change in throttle, you shouldn't have much to fight with.

It's worth noting that not all aircraft have trim that is adjustable in flight. The Me-109 is probably the best example. On the 109, trim was preset on the ground. Planes that can't be trimmed in flight generally have a cruising speed that they are trimmed for, and if you fly at that speed you will not need to use much input at all.

Some aircraft only have certain types of trim... But rudder is the most important and pretty much anything with trim at least has rudder trim.

Trim is incremental, so you may have to hit the button a bunch of times to get where you want to be.

Don't do it too fast. If you aren't in combat, you should climb at a speed that lets you maintain or even slightly gain speed. It will be shallow.

In combat, climbing should always be avoided unless you have an energy advantage over your enemy. A dive and a zoom climb in a good energy fighter with good climbing ability (like the P-47 or Me-109K) can leave anything else standing.

descending
A slow decent will take a long time. Just chop the throttle and bring it down.

Fast descents depend upon the plane...
Some planes are excellent divers that can leave anything else in the dust. The P-47 is a great example because not only did it weigh a ton, it was so sturdy that it could survive dives at speeds that would rip the wings off of other aircraft.

Some aircraft suffer from compressibility when diving at high speed. The P-38 is the best example here. If you dive too steeply in a P-38J, you will probably not be able to pull out of it. The P-38L has dive flaps which can be engaged if you're suffering from the effects of compressibility (and really, the P-38 was the plane that finally laid to rest its cause and offered a solution of how to get around it.)

Light planes tend to be poor divers.

A coordinated (level) turn requires some rudder input to keep the nose from drifting.

A combat turn would be turning while gaining altitude in a fairly shallow climb. Again, rudder is usually needed.

Turning in combat depends upon the aircraft. If you're flying an energy fighter, turning should be avoided at all costs until you have several thousand meters between you and your enemy.

In a turn fighter, feel free to yank the stick around pretty violently.

Regardless of what you fly, you'll eventually become familiar with the limits of the plane and will know how to ride on the very edge of a stall through a turn.

That's a big one.

Torque will also be a problem here. I don't know what they teach in flight school, but I would NOT obsess over trim here. There's too much else to worry about. Just get a fairly comfortable setting for your approach speed and leave it at that.

Don't put down your gear until you are going to commit to the landing. It induces a lot of drag.

Landing flaps will give you great lift, but also induce drag. You'll need to throttle up a bit when you put them down.

If you're coming in short, run up the throttle a bit. That will pull the nose up without you having to use the elevators.

Basically, you want to maintain a fairly constant landing speed on your final approach. Your decent should be pretty flat and smooth. I generally find the airfield, do a wide circle around it while losing speed and descending, and give myself a couple miles of straight flying to the edge of the runway.

If you bounce, DON'T push the nose down unless you've managed to bounce back into level flight. When you're on the ground, apply the brakes gradually if you are in a tail dragger... You will flip the plane otherwise.

The advice that some air force gave to its new pilots (I don't recall which) was to completely let go of the stick as soon as you were on the ground and weren't bouncing. People have a tendency to want to correct mistakes with the stick, and when you're moving along at a good speed upon landing, that can easily cause you to ram a wing into the ground. Rudder, throttle, and brakes are all you should need.

Practice.

The Luftwaffe told its pilots to not fire until the ENTIRE aircraft completely filled the reticle. That will probably seem strange at first, but it's good advice.

Deflection shooting is extremely difficult (and is why Hans-Joachim Marseille was practically considered a god. He could make shots at angles that nobody else could.) You'll have to take into account the angle, the distance, your speed, and your target's speed. Tons of practice is the only thing that helps here, and even then extreme angle shots are virtually impossible to pull off without luck.

Convergence is another thing to take into consideration...
Play around in the QMB for a while and determine at what distance you find yourself opening fire confidently. Set your convergence to that. Some people like very short convergence range, others like it very long.

I have mine at about 150m for machine guns.

Machine guns vs. cannons is another consideration...
Cannons pack more of a punch, but MGs have a flatter trajectory and higher rate of fire. Some prefer one or the other. It's a good idea to get comfortable with one weapon before moving onto another.

Everybody has their favored weapons. I'm most comfortable with the M2 for an MG and the 20mm Hispano and 20mm ShVAK for cannons.

Others like the UBS (Ugh) or MG151/20. Or Mk. 108 if they have no sportsmanship.

finding enemies
No real trick to this.
Just follow your flight or head to the area of operations.

If you're flying carrier missions, this can take a long time (which is why time compression can be handy.)

You can also call for a vector to the target if you get lost.

following maps
Over water, I can't help you. Pilots used timing and ded reckoning to navigate. I suck at this.

Over land, it's all about roads, rivers, and railways. I usually keep two easily identifiable things in sight and use things like towns or hills as turning points.

(I am not going to proof read this.)

LGBR said:
The irony is that loop is good at loops
as an aside, I pretend that there is no such thing as "loop".

I write tail-recursive functions and the compiler handles the creation of the ugly "loop".

Back