[Katrina] The Government Fucked up Big - Media sensationalism or Fact?

Timmain42 said:
Oh holy shit, is THAT untrue. Katrina was big and she hit just at the "right" spot, yeah... but it could get a WHOLE lot worse. Imagine 5-6 Katrinas a SUMMER, for 10-15 years.

If people think this is as bad as it could possibly get, they are in for a rude surprise. Glad I live a couple hundred miles inland.

You're not taking my comments in context.

The media said 25' tidal swell. Either people are bad at math along the Miss coast or didn't take it serious.

I'm not talking on the whole, I'm talking worst case for what they new was coming.

Last edited:
Patton said:
Apparently the government is responsible if you decide to stand in the path of a HUGE ACT OF GOD.

Actually, since we pay taxes (and enough taxes to let them wage war and develop god knows what with trillions of dollars) they are responsible for protecting us (its citizens) especially in times of disaster (hurricane).

granted nothing can be done for the group of people who would rather loot, rape, and attack police officers (a minority, presumably) but there is still alot of people (babies, old people, hospital staffs/setups) that have not been properly taken care of.

and then theres Pres. Bush's diversion of funds for preventing this disaster inorder to maintain the war effort.

FuFu said:
Actually, since we pay taxes (and enough taxes to let them wage war and develop god knows what with trillions of dollars) they are responsible for protecting us (its citizens) especially in times of disaster (hurricane).

And how would they stop a fucking hurricane?

FuFu said:

granted nothing can be done for the group of people who would rather loot, rape, and attack police officers (a minority, presumably) but there is still alot of people (babies, old people, hospital staffs/setups) that have not been properly taken care of.

and then theres Pres. Bush's diversion of funds for preventing this disaster inorder to maintain the war effort.

:rolleyes:

If all the voters in america voted to build a giant crystal shield around america that would stop hurricanes with all our tax payers money instead of attacking camel jockeys in the middle east, then damnit the government is suppose to build us our crystal shield

instead of rolling your eyes or pasting news reports why dont you express an opinion/evidence?

the point is not that they couldve stopped the hurricane

but that they could've done a better job of preventing the loss of life, property, as well as made the recovery process much quicker. clearly, they have enough resources.

FuFu said:
If all the voters in america voted to build a giant crystal shield around america that would stop hurricanes with all our tax payers money instead of attacking camel jockeys in the middle east, then damnit the government is suppose to build us our crystal shield

instead of rolling your eyes or pasting news reports why dont you express an opinion/evidence?

the point is not that they couldve stopped the hurricane

but that they could've done a better job of preventing the loss of life, property, as well as made the recovery process much quicker. clearly, they have enough resources.

:rolleyes:

Why? It's not worth the effort, your mind is already made up...

I dont know how badly of a job the government did. thats the point of this thread.

but if you're asking whether or not i think the government could've done a better job in the areas listed above then my answer is yes

Yet after 2003, the flow of federal dollars toward SELA dropped to a trickle. The Corps never tried to hide the fact that the spending pressures of the war in Iraq, as well as homeland security -- coming at the same time as federal tax cuts -- was the reason for the strain. At least nine articles in the Times-Picayune from 2004 and 2005 specifically cite the cost of Iraq as a reason for the lack of hurricane- and flood-control dollars

i think another good question is

has osama been successful?

by creating a war in the middle east, and with this turn of bad luck, has he achieved something in the extent of the american populace now questioning its government?

Because the levee board, and the entire system was corrupt:

New Orleans Levee Board President James Huey
ordered a freakish undercover probe of radio talk show personality and Levee Board critic Robert Namer, funding it with taxpayer money to the tune of $45,000. The investigation, which lasted from 1997 to 1998, included video surveillance of Namer and extensive background checks into his private and public dealings.

osama's success was never defined by having americans question their own government

i think that's the goal of any rational person

I feel it's a person's responsibility to take care of their self. Nothing MADE those people live in new orleans. Move to a safer place, if you don't want to face the risks of hurricanes.

That said, how can you be angry at people who are trying to help out other people? They are doing their best, in a bad situation. If you think you can do a better job, then join a service that helps people. Don't just complain, and whine about the government. It is your government after all, and you helped, or perhaps didn't help shape it. I feel they've done as good a job as can be expected.
Fling :D

Fling said:
I feel it's a person's responsibility to take care of their self. Nothing MADE those people live in new orleans.

congratulations on having the absolute worst argument i've ever seen

FuFu said:

FuFu (idiot) likes to say lots of dumb (fucking retarded) stuff.

Gauntlet said:
I originally thought that of all the places in the world the USA would be the best equipped to handle a disaster of this magnitude. Yet I watch the media coverage and listen to the reports that come in and I realize I was sadly mistaken. The most disappointing thing is the lack of food, supplies, water trying to be delivered to the remaining NO population. I mean I realize the roads were out but why not air drops of MREs, medical supplies and fresh water?

Another thing that kills me is the idea of rescueing people is airlifting them to a highway overpass and then leaving them with nothing. This whole thing is being handled poorly so far and I fear the death toll will be higher not by Katrina's fallout but our own inability to help people in need.

Just a guess, but wouldnt air drops require, oh I dont know, a significant area of open land to actually DROP stuff to ?

be kind of backwards to drop shit into to the middle of lake new orleans only to have people endanger themselves trying to get to the food/water wouldnt it ?

Its really sad how people are getting fucked over by nature and it turns into a democrat/republican issue - though I guess I shouldn't be suprised. You all doing that should be ashamed.

orbital 123 said:
Of course they fucked up, but they are going to cover each others asses. Hopefully people will remember this shit come election time though.

No, sadly all they will remember are those fake video's of Osama, but somehow they are too stupid to see they are fake.....

faketoreal5cf.gif

binwho24cu.jpg

^^ And this was Osama just before election 2004(obviously after massive plastic surgery)

binladen81rp.jpg

^^ If you can't figure it out, "Osama E" is the Osama that confessed to the WTC attacks in Dec. 2001.

I'm not taking up for the gov't. or anything, but you also have to take into consideration the destruction only happened 5-6 days ago, there are parts of the state that are still unreachable and its not like there was some huge task force assembled and ready because they knew katrina was going to turn into a cat 5 hurricane and rip right through new orleans.

Now if a week from now, the area is still in the same state, then i would say the powers that be have dropped the ball.

Wouldn't they have had to start the projects that this money would have gone to YEARS ago for it to make any difference?

DudeofDeath said:
No, sadly all they will remember are those fake video's of Osama, but somehow they are too stupid to see they are fake.....

faketoreal5cf.gif

binwho24cu.jpg

^^ And this was Osama just before election 2004(obviously after massive plastic surgery)

binladen81rp.jpg

^^ If you can't figure it out, "Osama E" is the Osama that confessed to the WTC attacks in Dec. 2001.

what the hell does that have to do with the issue at hand. stop using the suffering of the people of the MS/LA area as a springboard for your shitty opinions

christ almighty have some respect

Back