just something to post - nothing special

Java

Contributor
Veteran XX
i wasn't going to post this because there was no real planning but the camera was there so i took my pictures and here you go. this is a really easy one.

umm you need some bacon, some leeks (cut off at the pale green part) some butter, some salmon salt and pepper etc....... cut your leeks in half length wise and then slice across the grain - soak them in water cuz leeks can be pretty gritty

n4dzqh.jpg

the bacon you want to cut however you want - these are called jardons - just slice the bacon across the grain - this isn't supposed to be technical
2d817bo.jpg

cook the bacon up crispy and then dump most of the bacon fat from the pan
210n3v4.jpg

add your leeks to the bacon pan and saute - once they start to give up most of their water add some butter - at this point i added some kosher salt and pepper
28vygbq.jpg

now you can deal with your salmon - this is a pound - 3 adults can eat from it
213kfvo.jpg

i cleaned mine up just by getting rid of some of the belly and some of the fin
21ztbt.jpg

i portioned it into 3 pieces (my kids will share the piece that isn't semetrical
28s9dlx.jpg

into the pan (i'm into the cast iron lately thx simplex) i went skin down first for presentation - of course my wife hates the skin and my kids sure as hell don't want it...
m7t7bl.jpg

anyhow - put skin side down first. i put it in the pan and move it around a little to where i want it in the pan. then i do n't touch it until it's ready to flip. it's ready when it gives itself up from the pan. here is my pasty pic of salmon over buttered leeks and bacon with potato gratin. yay.
14y4uv.jpg

and my kids portions. i ate most of those too.
izcj6u.jpg

that sounds really good - i love risottos - total labor of love. spend a couple bucks and buy some truffle butter - throw it in the freezer and whenever yo make risotto chop off a hunk and throw it in.

that sounds really good - i love risottos - total labor of love. spend a couple bucks and buy some truffle butter - throw it in the freezer and whenever yo make risotto chop off a hunk and throw it in.

yeah the only thing that sucks about risotto is the time commitment

which is why everytime I see it used as just a side I'm totally impressed

Man I love Leeks. When I was little my father and I would go to my grandfathers house to pick them. There was a very small creek that ran through the woods behind his house and they grow wild all along the sides of it.

Ahhh the memories. :D

I would love to see a recipe thread on this.

I have recently been trying my hand at risottos and I have to say it has changed the way I make any type of rice. There is such difference in flavor when you simmer cooked rice in some prepared broth.

For example if you want a spanish or mexican rice you can take a chicken broth add spices and bring it to a boil for a minute. Then add some pre-cooked white rice to a pan and then use the risotto technique with the broth.

The flavor difference between that and cooking the rice in the flavored broth is amazing.

So any risotto tips, tricks or recipes are always welcome by me :)

Back