[ITT] I go to a Level 4 Virology Lab

But they didn't let me bring my camera in, so there's no pics.

This is the place:
National Microbiology Laboratory - Public Health Agency of Canada
The NML is located at the Canadian Science Centre for Human and Animal Health, the only facility to have high containment laboratories for human and animal health in one facility. It is recognized as a leading facility in an elite group of 15 centres around the world, equipped with laboratories ranging from biosafety level 2 to level 4 designed to accommodate the most basic to the most deadly infectious organisms.

CBC News Indepth: Biological Weapons

Winnipeg's new virology lab – administered by Health Canada – cost $172 million and took 10 years to design and build. It took two years alone to build the concrete box that encloses the Level-4 lab. They waited a year for the massive, monolithic concrete to dry, then covered it with 30 coats of special paint, then covered the walls and floor with a layer of epoxy 7.5 centimetres thick.

What distinguishes the Winnipeg lab is that it is set up for both human and animal diseases, which is of vital importance as scientists uncover more evidence of human diseases transmitted from animals.

The first strains of lethal diseases arrived at the Winnipeg lab in the summer of 2000, a cargo of six of the most deadly viruses in the world. Small vials contained samples of Lassa, Marburg and Junin, with three strains of Ebola viruses, all flown in from the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta.

But, if security requirements are so stringent, and the stuff so deadly, how is it so easily transported over great distances to the lab in Winnipeg? Dr. Ron St. John, Health Canada's executive director of the Centre for Emergency Preparedness and Response, says the vials are transported in safety packs, then secured in a triple-container and sealed.

"I would stress that these packages are designed to withstand tremendous impact," Dr. St. John explained. "In the famous Lockerbie crash the only package – the only thing to survive intact in that terrible airplane tragedy – was a safety pack that had an organism in it."

The Canadian Science Centre for Human and Animal Health in Winnipeg is located in the city's north end, on Arlington Street. Its laboratories are in four levels of containment, Level-1 being at about the safety requirements of a high school lab, Level-4 considered secure enough to test the world's deadliest viruses.

They were having an open house for the public today, so my wife and I thought we'd pop in for a look. The place was crawling with RCMP, and the visitors were corralled in an area with some booths set up outlining generally what goes on in the facility. Not super interesting, not even with the free colourful latex gloves which they were handing out.

There was, however, one especially interesting thing which the public got access to, which was the operations center. It was a room about 50' x 70', with conference tables in two rows down the middle of the room. One entire wall was a giant display consisting of 16 or so 40" flatscreens. Along each wall were another 8 screens of the same size. On the conference tables were telephones with touchscreens that could be used for video conferencing and controlling the displays in the room.

The background on the main screen (the 16 linked together) was a satellite image map of the world, with icons scattered all across it representing various situations which were being monitored. There were about a dozen windows on top of the map image which displayed anything from field reports to news channels from around the world. The whole thing was exactly the way war rooms are shown in TV. The real interesting bit came when I asked one of the staff how they get real-time updates for the map - if they actually have that many affiliates or operations around the world, or that level of cooperation exists between other countries in this field.

His answer was this: every time someone buys something at a drugstore or anywhere that sells health-related products, the barcode on the product is scanned. That information is transmitted directly to their organization, and when an unusual amount of certain medications are purchased, the location is automatically flagged as having a potential issue.

I was impressed, and naturally wondered what else that level of surveillance was being applied to.

Canadian Network for Public Health Intelligence
The Global Public Health Intelligence Network (GPHIN) - Public Health Agency of Canada
GPHIN is a secure Internet-based 'early warning' system that gathers preliminary reports of public health significance on a near 'real-time', 24 hours a day, 7 days a week basis. This unique multilingual system gathers and provides relevant unverified information on disease outbreaks and other public health events by monitoring global media sources in six languages, namely, Arabic Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish. This automated process, which includes the filtering for relevancy and categorizing of information is complemented by human analysis. News articles in English are posted in the system and 'translated' into the other five languages. News articles in any of the five non-English languages are posted in the system and 'translated' into English. The 'translation' is produced by an automated machine translation process, whose principle function is to provide the user with the message of the article and not a professionally translated version.

Last edited:
Cool_story%2C_bro.jpg

Back