Is there any email program better than Outlook Express?

MST3K-rules

Contributor
Veteran X
I recently started using POPFile, a spam fighter: http://popfile.sourceforge.net/

It works really well, but Outlook Express doesnt support the header it uses to route mail, so it has to append words in brackets to the front of every email I receive so that OE's message rules can route them. It's not a big deal, but it's kind of stupid and annoying.

Any better email proggies out there that support this stuff? I've been using OE for years and it's been like a decade since I used Eudora.

jotun said:
is there any email program that ISN'T better than Outlook Express?
All the ones I see don't seem to be as well put together or seem out of date.

I'm very open to suggestions though. I know I haven't given these programs a real look in a long while.

SniperOmega said:
Using outlook is just asking to have your computer used against you in some way.
Maybe it's because I'm not retarded, but I've been using OE for years and have never gotten a virus for it. I just don't click on emails that I don't trust.

Boy, you'd think this would be a field of programs where more innovation would've occurred by now. It feels like email clients have been left behind during the browser war years and have stayed mostly the same.

MST3K-rules said:
I recently started using POPFile, a spam fighter: http://popfile.sourceforge.net/

It works really well, but Outlook Express doesnt support the header it uses to route mail, so it has to append words in brackets to the front of every email I receive so that OE's message rules can route them. It's not a big deal, but it's kind of stupid and annoying.

Any better email proggies out there that support this stuff? I've been using OE for years and it's been like a decade since I used Eudora.

I haven't looked at Outlook Express for a long time (I use regular Outlook) and I've been using Popfile for about a year. I'd be shocked if there wasnt a way to make popfile work with outlook express.

Edit: Im gonna play with OE to see if I can help you figure it out :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly how it works, but in the Popfile UI, you need to go to the Configuration tab and turn off the X-Text-Classification Header, and turn on Subject Line modification.

This will insert the name of your bucket into the subject line.. For example, I have a "spam" bucket.. So all my emails look like this:
[spam] Free sample of Jerky Naturals Dog Treats

Then in OE, setup your rule to work of the "Where the Subject line contains specific words" option. Then do whatever you want, I usually have the mail moved into a spam folder, where I give it a quick look to make sure its really spam (this is important early on, as it takes a bunch of emails to make it more and more accurate.

Hope this helps.

Back