Is the new LoTR footage worthwhile?

Usher

Veteran X
I had a friend thinking of grabbing that special edition lord ofthe rings dvd that just came out. If anyone's seen it, how is the extra stuff? Is it worth it?

I'm just going to wait until all the movies are on dvd, then I'll buy whatever box set they come out with at that point...I'm fucking tired of buying a movie, then they come out with three or four more fucking versions of it afterwards. :mad:

The footage is basically a lot in the beginning about hobbits

Some extra travelling all throughout the book so they don't just appear at each location

Shows galadriel giving them all things rather than just 1

Overall it peices things together much better, I would definately reccomend seeing it if not buying it

I think we will have to grab it. One more quesiton:

Are the added scenes all production quality, or are they basically pre-final edited scenes?

Usher said:
I think we will have to grab it. One more quesiton:

Are the added scenes all production quality, or are they basically pre-final edited scenes?

They're all fully produced.

I just got done watching it all. It is definitely the better version to see, but keep in mind that thirty minutes interwoven into a movie that was already 3+ hours in length may make it seem not so different.

The most significant changes are: a small introductory narrative by Bilbo concerning the nature of hobbits, a slight 'beefing up' of the council at Rivendell, (but even with this, they utterly butchered the scene from what it was in the book - which is understandable I guess, it's a movie after all), Galdriel's gifts, and overall an extension of Lorien in general, and a bit better character-development with Boromir and Aragorn. Otherwise, most of the additional footage is added in ways that do not advance the story a great deal.

The "making-of" discs that come with it, though, are pretty much well-worth the price of admission. They are packed with information about how the project came together, and it's a fascinating look at all the stuff you see in the movie close-up. Definitely a worthwhile buy.

Back