Is it ok to leave a laptop on all the time

Ripper

Contributor
Veteran X
I used to leave my desktop on all week but now that i have a laptop i wasn't sure if it was ok to leave on.

I'd be careful, they are recalling all the Dell and Apple batteries for about the past 5 years or so, the problem being insane heat build-up.

This happens with pretty much all laptops, causing random explosions

I've left my work laptop on 24/7 for the past 5 years. 4 different computers during that time and not one problem. Not sure if its good for the life of battery or not though.

depends on the kind of laptop. for a high powered laptop that has a high end vidcard, you should consider getting a laptop cooler ( http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75004 ) especially if the keyboard or beneath the keyboard gets very warm.

also, for most modern batteries, it's good to drain it completely every month and then immediately afterward to recharge it for 12 hours.

yes it's fine ... but you should take the battery out while it's plugged in for long durations (it ruins the battery life if you leave it plugged in all the time.)

No... it ruins the battery life if you drain the batteries everyday, if you keep it plugged in the batteries will be better off.

you can leave the power cord in all the time...doesn't matter.

Wrong, although I'm not sure if cogz is being sarcastic. All laptop manuals recommend cycling the battery power usually once during the first week or two, and then at least once a month, twice if you use the laptop frequently.

With mine I plug it in til 100%, then unplug 'til about 10%, repeat.

Back