ipod's and all those portable MP3 digital players

I was going to buy one today, mainly for running and working out...

anyone have a suggestion on which to buy? I was looking at the sony one, it was 1GB for around 120.. and also a creative labs one (zen nano 1gb for 140)

I was looking to stay under the 150 mark

Bought an ipod nano, love it to death. Great for running and is so small it fits in the tightest of pockets.

The Sony one will require you to use their software and possibly also use ATRAC. Some higher end models might allow you to read straight MP3 files.

I wouldn't recommend a Sony digital player.

When I go running, I use the iFP 300 series from iRiver. I couldn't be happier with it. Biggest complaint I can think of is that, to get it to show up as a hard drive on my PC, I had to reflash it with alternative firmware available on their website.

I guess nowadays you'd want the T10. The 512MB version is currently selling on Amazon for $142.49. And you'd probably want to invest in the sports armband available off their website for $20.

Check out http://www.iriveramerica.com

XZiler8r [MHz] said:
I was going to buy one today, mainly for running and working out...

anyone have a suggestion on which to buy? I was looking at the sony one, it was 1GB for around 120.. and also a creative labs one (zen nano 1gb for 140)

I was looking to stay under the 150 mark

I sell iPods so I'll give you the lowdown.

Do NOT buy the Zen. The product itself is fine, but the product it self is also the size of Montana compared to even the original iPods. The thing is just too damn big to be convenient.

If you're looking for mainly working out and running, I suggest the iPod shuffle - because of the following reasons:

1. Small size, accessories for working out.
2. Body and composure more suited for working-out environment.
3. 1/2 gig is only $99 retail, and honestly.. you're not going to be running for more than 10 songs anyways :)

Hugo said:
I sell iPods so I'll give you the lowdown.

Do NOT buy the Zen. The product itself is fine, but the product it self is also the size of Montana compared to even the original iPods. The thing is just too damn big to be convenient.

If you're looking for mainly working out and running, I suggest the iPod shuffle - because of the following reasons:

1. Small size, accessories for working out.
2. Body and composure more suited for working-out environment.
3. 1/2 gig is only $99 retail, and honestly.. you're not going to be running for more than 10 songs anyways :)
He's talking about the Micro, not the Xtra. Micro's smaller than an iPod, though not quite as small as a Nano or Shuffle.

Sony's newer MP3 players DON'T require ATRAC formatting anymore, Sony finally wised up.

Not sure what size you're really hoping for, but $160 gets you one of Sony's new stick MP3 players. 1GB, FM radio tuner, organic EL display, 50 hours battery life. Or $130 gets you the 512MB version.

*Edit*
NWE507.jpg

Seriously, how sexy is that?!

I've been thinking about getting one because my library lets me dl "books on tape" in wma-drm format. The kicker is only certain www.playforsure.com players work with these drm files... no apple doesn't do it at all. I'm listening to "The Devils Code" right now, cool book, but I want to take it in the car with me. The Sandisk Sanso flash mem types will work, waiting for the 4 gig to come out...www.playsforsure.com/ItemDetail.aspx?id=129

thinking about this simple head unit for car... it has an aux input on the front i could plug the sandisk into, good solid feel. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03066&id=1118845473839

but, although those through your fm radio transmitter things usually were shit... maybe this belkin thing would be teh ticket
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ughValue=368501_REG&addedTroughType=accessory

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy a media player made from a company who also happens to own a major record label.

Back