Invisible Dog Fences, what do they cost?

Thumper

Veteran X
I am taking my friends 4 year old chocolate lab and his 3 year old silver lab.

He's going through a divorce and cant keep them. :(

Anyway, my google foo sucks and I cant find how much the invisible fences cost. I only have a quarter acre lot so its not that huge of an area.

Anyone have one?

thanks

What if another dog wanders into your yard, and your dog can't get away?

What dog needs to get away? Your dogs should probably fight those other dogs off, to defend the property.

I could see if it was a little dog, but these are fully grown labs. Between the two of them, they should be able to handle a wanderer.

lol. I thought about the "invisible fences, how do they work?" but opted not to use it.

I did think about if another dog comes into my yard but Im not worried to much. They wouldn't be in the yard without us being home so if they start barking and throwing a fit, ill be out there with them so no worries. And as posted, there are 2 of them so they should be able to defend each other until I get there!

From what my google foo has shown, no less than $1000... More than I wanted to spend but a lot less than a regular fence would cost.

like 1-200 bucks, i think I got one from home depot

its a just a control box, a collar, and a wire(and you can use your own wire if you need more length)

really? you're talking about the kind buried around the perimter of your yard or the one with a transmitter and a certain range they can be away from it?

I was referring to the burried kind but I never thought about the transmitter type. Good idea!!!

hmmmmm

Edit: I just checked out Lowes and saw the one you're talking about for $200. hmmmm

Last edited:
transmitter type?

im pretty sure most revolve around a physical wire to set up the perimeter. i suppose there are probably some that have some sort of transmitter posts to set the boundary, instead of wire, but they're probably more expensive and really not any better.

wtf do you mean by transmitter type?

I got one installed by the Invisible Fence Company, and it was around $800. It's also not torturing the dog, because you train them to back off when they hear the beep from getting too close to the edge. If your dog isn't a dumbass, he'll never feel the shock aside from the one time they do it in training to reinforce the beep.

I had one professionally installed to cover my 1 acre yard for about 1200

The dog is 100% happier with fence than without.

I took the shock first before I ever put the collar on her.

I had one professionally installed to cover my 1 acre yard for about 1200

The dog is 100% happier with fence than without.

I took the shock first before I ever put the collar on her.

But since you are probably at least 6X bigger than your pooch, you only got 1/6th of his sting. You didn't take shit.

You do realize the fence really does nothing. You end up just training your dog to not cross your property line. A good lead is probably better.

My parents used to have one. Except, there was no actual "fence". There was a radio transmitter that stayed inside the home. When the dog went beyond the transmission area (which was basically the yard) the collar would begin shocking her. It would continue to do so until she got back within the invisible area. Anyhow, it didn't take her long to realize where she could/couldn't go, and eventually even when she didn't have it on she wouldn't go outside the area.

we had one when i was young

my dog realized if he wanted some prime bitch pussy the little jolt wasn't going to stop him. At the time I thought he just liked to play with the other dogs though.

Back