Investing

Tatiyana

Veteran X
So the previous thread got me thinking I really should be doing more to plan for the future. I don't make a hell of a lot right now, but I can manage to put a small amount away every month to start, and increase once I finish grad school and get into my career.

I did some research and I'm leaning toward an IRA. I have a pension (and will continue once I'm fully in my career, it won't change as it's public employee system/public school), but I know I"ll need more than what that will provide. So, I want to start putting small amounts (probably $50 a month to start - we're buying a house and I can't afford to put much more than that away right now) into an IRA. My question, then, is where do I begin?

My husband has an accountant, but he's not been happy with him lately, so I'm weary of talking with him. Otherwise, I have no one I know that I can talk to. Do I need an accountant to start an IRA? Or can I research the various trading/broker companies and go from there? Better yet, who do some of you use who have IRAs already?

invest in aids vacines :D

ive got 8 shares of google i bought for $50/share when they first came to the make 3 or 4years ago...im sitting on like 7k just on that :D

Yea this is the place to come for this

Sure, why not? A variety of people with different experiences and a large knwoledge base to get some starter points. I'm not going to take anyone's word for it and jump right in, I'm going to do my research. I've done some already, I just need other opinions.

The best place for a Roth IRA is www.vanguard.com as they have the lowest fees. You can request a prospectus online which will give you the information and application you need to get started.

They can do automatic withdrawals from your checking account if you set it up.

I have everything with Vanguard. Stocks, money market, Roth IRA, and mutual fund, it's all in one place. If their minimum is too much for you to open an account, then just put the money in a bank savings account until you have enough.

Last edited:
Get an account at E*Trade. You can start an IRA with very little money. Just invest in a mutual fund (no-load, no-fee) that mirrors a major index like the S&P500 or DJIA. It's may not be the best performing investment you can make, but if you lack investing knowledge, it's a solid performer over the long term. I recommend a Roth IRA over a traditional; I could argue the reasons why here, but you should just read and make up your own mind.
5 Retirement Must-Knows [Fool.com: Retirement Center]
IRA Center Main Page [Fool.com: IRA Center]

I'll fill you in on my financial genius and help you all get as rich as I have. To date, I've made $31,201,301.12 using this method. As soon as the Canadian dollar passed by the American dollar in value I went to Barnes and Noble and bought as many books as I could afford (paperbacks work best for cost). Because they were $5.99 US/7.99 Can, I then took them across the border and sold them in front of Canadian stores, netting myself a nice profit per book. Using that profit to in turn buy more books in the US, I've quickly made a ton of profit through my illegal book trafficking business.

invest in aids vacines :D

ive got 8 shares of google i bought for $50/share when they first came to the make 3 or 4years ago...im sitting on like 7k just on that :D

you're full of shit

google was never as low as $50 and it's worth $732 right now which at 8 shares is not anywhere near $7k

Back