Interpolate!!#?

cruncha- said:
interpolate.. being hosted on tribalwar :|

isnt interpolate a cheat?

some facts just for you:
1) Interpolation is initially turned *on* by the game. T2 interpolates the positions of moving objects during the packages, so the grafics look all smooth and nice.
2) At a higher ping this becomes more and more inaccurate since there are less packages and less data, so the game has to 'guess' more where to draw things.
3) So some people turn off or lower the interpolation factor (which is stored in your client prefs) to get a more accurate view of where things are. Due to latency this makes the game look more jerky and things tend to look more warpy rather than smooth movements.

Interpolate is more of an excuse than something that makes people chain better.

It's very possible to chain great with or without it, personally I prefer without.

half the sky said:
Some people can justify just about anything.
I havent ever used it (havent even played T1 since the whole thing started), but i can say for certain that its not cheating. Cheating implies that its against the rules, and interpolate is not against the rules.

If you define cheating simply as giving one player an "unfair" advantage, then ALL scripts would be cheating. Where do you draw the line?

I'm convinced the only reason people cry foul about interpolate is that people like to blame their mistakes on things other than themselves. I cannot count how many times I have been accused of cheating in a game, be it NoFog in T1, map hack in starcraft, resource hack war3, or aimbot in savage.

Everyone has a hard time coming to terms with admitting that someone else is *gasp* better than they are. And when everyone started learning of interpolate, they started telling themselves that they were being cheated every time they die.

Take happymod for example. The advantage it gave to players was really trivial at best (so you can find the flag carrier and see through walls in Trbes, whoop-dee-doo), but there are people who literally make it their life's objective to accuse other people of cheating. For an example of this effect, just look at some of the threads where people are accused of cheating; they are so long and ridiculous. Even if every player on a team uses happymod, it would have little effect on the outcome of the vast majority of ladder games in Tribes.

Last edited:
Void|deadjawa said:
I havent ever used it (havent even played T1 since the whole thing started), but i can say for certain that its not cheating. Cheating implies that its against the rules, and interpolate is not against the rules.

If you define cheating simply as giving one player an "unfair" advantage, then ALL scripts would be cheating. Where do you draw the line?

I use no scripts. Where do you think I draw the line?

I personally believe anything that provides a player with more information and/or eliminates a keypress = cheat.

I have a great deal of respect for scripters, but I believe scripts should be released as a mod.

Happymod provides a "trivial" advantage? You really are stupid.

Void|deadjawa said:
Take happymod for example. The advantage it gave to players was really trivial at best (so you can find the flag carrier and see through walls in Trbes, whoop-dee-doo), but there are people who literally make it their life's objective to accuse other people of cheating. For an example of this effect, just look at some of the threads where people are accused of cheating; they are so long and ridiculous. Even if every player on a team uses happymod, it would have little effect on the outcome of the vast majority of ladder games in Tribes.

Back