Interesting read...

Ookblah

Veteran XV
Got this from a friend:

About the time America's original 13 states adopted their new constitution, in the year 1787, Alexander Tyler (a Scottish history professor at The University of Edinborough) had this to say about "The Fall of The Athenian Republic" some 2,000 years prior.

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a dictatorship."

"The average age of the worlds greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

1. From bondage to spiritual faith;
2. From spiritual faith to great courage;
3. From courage to liberty;
4. From liberty to abundance;
5. From abundance to complacency;
6. From complacency to apathy;
7. From apathy to dependence;
8. From dependence back into bondage."

Professor Joseph Olson of Hamline University School of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota, points out some interesting facts because Dr. Olson believes the U.S. is now somewhere between the "complacency and "apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy; with some 40 percent of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.

-------------------

So, what do you guys think? True or no?

Darkness said:
i dont remeber any part of that sequence in the 200+ years of USA dominance

yeah or the LIKENESS of the roman empire councils to our modern day congress.

I'm not seeing what hes getting at.

he be smoking crack!

I bet you could have put that in any order with bondage on either side and people would say... WHOA... thats exactly like us...

which is one of the reasons they wanted a republic instead of the blah blah democracy all the politicians keeping harping about

Darkness said:
but its supposed to reset after about 200 years didnt you read the post...

it said the average age, which means around that number. Not like, oh 30 years we must be in this part of the sequence!

BTW, yeah the Roman Empire didn't follow this.

Darkness said:
i dont remeber any part of that sequence in the 200+ years of USA dominance
the USA has nowhere near 200 years of dominance. we have like 90 under our belts, tops.

also

"The average age of the worlds greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:"

i highly doubt that's the average considering the great lengths of different ancient civilizations like egyptians, mesopotamian peoples, assyrians, romans, chinese, etc.

Back