Inexplicable Loss of PC Speed

ceand

Contributor
Veteran XX
RE: Shut down system fine Wed night: yesterday and today, dog slow. Boot speed is 3x slower, when first app is opened after boot, it's 10x longer. Subsequent openings are normal speed. Sound is jumpy in games, causing graphics to be jumpy.

Changes: None, no hardware, no software, no installs, no uninstalls.

Attempts:Full virus and spyware scans came back clean. ActiveSMART shows the boot drive to be in good health.

Specs, as if they help:

Intel Core 2 Duo E440 @ 2ghz sitting on an Intel DP965LTCK
2GB Mushkin DDR2 800
Evga GeForce 8600GT 512 MB
Windows XP SP2 on a partitioned Sata 3.0Gb/s 100gb HDD.

Network/Sound are being run from the Mobo

All of the above new as of October 07.

Ideas?

clean out your case of dust, check all fans, double-check all running applications and disable automatic updates. Run a firewall too.

hdd is failing, backup shit now. carbonite.com is $50 per year unlimited.

That's what I'm leaning to also. I can backup here just fine.

First disk I've ever had problems with.

For others: I have a Firewall up, both hardware and software. Problem persists connected to a network or not. Auto-updates has always been off.

If your HDD is failing you would get I/O error logs in your Windows system logs

If your not getting any errors, it's honestly probably just dust on your heatsink that needs to be dusted. I have to take my PC outside and dust it every other month (Hell I smoke hella weed at my comp :D )

A failing hard drive is blatently obvious, not something you gotta "look" for as the problem really...

He said its all new as of October 07. So would there really be enough dust in there over only 2 months to slow it down by that much?

Back