Impressions of Dire Maul so far?

Gibe

Veteran XV
What w/ the world server crashes, instance server crashes, a bug that puts party members in different instances, and various other issues I wasn't able to get very far. We went in the west entrance (the one w/ the locked door), killed a few patrols and were staring at the biggest tree... possibly ever.... who dropped a +24 int +1% spell crit green staff. We went past him... found a boss protected by forcefields and wondered if the various crystals we'd seen might have something to do w/ that... in our search for crystals and general running around we found a 60 elite undead priest boss who hits VERY hard. Wasn't unbeatable by any means... you just kinda have to be ready cuz this guy tears ass. He dropped a +6 stam +10 int +7 spirit +10 fire resist necklace... idk, i guess i just expected a little more.

That's about it...ppl had to log (myself included) so we called it quits. Im curious to know if anyone has found any worthwhile loot so far, or anything cool in general.

--Xancha, 60 priest, Illidan

Last edited:
Well, first, the server crashed twice. Then Dire Maul was so overloaded with horde and alliance faggots AEing eachother that it was almost impossible to get into the instance. Once you got five inside, it crashed. So I have no fucking idea.

Also, the 2 upper tier raid bosses are not spawned yet. And they didnt fix seal of command.

Good patch.

My Experience:

We were on the last boss of DM. and the server crashed (Spinebreaker). We log back on and it starts the countdown to kick us from the instance.

My screen counted down and it just restarted the timer, giving some error. We were going to rush the boss before the server could bring up Orgrimmar, then it booted me on the next countdown.

http://www.dircen.com/ss/WoWScrnShot_032305_000145.jpg

reposted from http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=2111328&tmp=1#post2111328

Dire Maul is warlock heaven. In fact, this entire patch is rather awesome for warlocks in general. Crit rate with the fixes they did is through the roof. Seriously. I feel like I crit 2x-3x as much now. Practically every mob in the first part of DM is banishable, and you can enslave satyr rogues that have *HUGE* dmg output. A 30/21 specced warlock enslaving one of the satyrs easily outdamages anything other class in the game. (If the lock has decent gear anyways, I have +105 or more shadow + crit stuff).

The first part of Dire Maul felt very well designed. Gotta do the second/third parts now.

we did the east/west parts. i got first bluedrop on malganis (lol) on the 2nd mob into the east wing. some necklace that gives 6sta 7int and increases nature dmg spells.

the loot there is alright...some of the quest items are pretty cool (especially the class trinkets, got a lot tonight since most of our guild was in DM). the east side is really easy. you dont even need a warrior. a group with a warlock/hunter pets tanking and shaman healing did it fine.

some nice loot...west is definately a lot harder than east. some kinda tricky shit...especially with invisi ghost. havent been to third part yet but here the last boss is a bit rough and drops nice stuff

things of interest:

1. the variability in loot. yes a lot of caster stuff again but some nice variety for other classes. some good pickups there. also a lot to DE.

2. healer aggro is JJJJJJACKED. its reeeeally easy for healers to get aggro in DM so be careful. west side keeps you on your toes.

3. undead huntress in west side drops the shaman trinket quest item...unless its random and someone got it from her.

4. the instance has a nice layout. not too cramped. not to open.

5. its really. really. really. really nice to be 5 manning again.

6. shaman armor, where i thought looked stupid before, looks awesome on orcs. guild tabard is cutoff on bottom by pants tho. ohwell. i dont wear it anyway.

ps - lvl 60 water quest starts on the west side. its 4200mana over 30sec.

I really like it.. echoing what Bodom said, the West side will definitely keep you on your toes.

The patrols (Ironbark) are very difficult and you have to let the warrior get aggro and keep it for a while. Treat it like a mini-Magmadar. :p Healers can take aggro in a split second, so be wary of that.

I really liked the East Side, although it was extremely easy. I had forgotten how much fun five man raids could be... definitely worth the few hours I put into it tonight.

Well a hurricane dropped and i won the roll (was an all guild group so the roll was just for boasting rights was going to give it to one of the hunters we didnt have one with us) as i go to pick it up i get loot lagged, and this continues for 15-20 mins till im d/c (it already said i had it, but it hadnt appeared in my inv yet) I get back on and its gone along with the corpse :(

Was very sad.

Last edited:
ZProtoss said:
Dire Maul is warlock heaven. In fact, this entire patch is rather awesome for warlocks in general. Crit rate with the fixes they did is through the roof. Seriously. I feel like I crit 2x-3x as much now. Practically every mob in the first part of DM is banishable, and you can enslave satyr rogues that have *HUGE* dmg output. A 30/21 specced warlock enslaving one of the satyrs easily outdamages anything other class in the game. (If the lock has decent gear anyways, I have +105 or more shadow + crit stuff).

The first part of Dire Maul felt very well designed. Gotta do the second/third parts now.

/signed

so far im loving it with my lock. indeed, nice to be doing 5-man stuff at lvl 60 again.

meanwhile, what's the trick to doing Zevrim Thornhoof?

he started sacrificing us so fast & started seeming not to take damage so much that it seemed bugged.

edit:

the 2nd time he didnt sac anybody but nearly whiped us anyways. i dont get it.

he actually had 3 of us on the sacrificial thing at the same time the first round.

Last edited:
We did him with a Druid, Hunter, Palladin, Mage and Rogue. He didn't seem to hard I believe 4 people got sacrificed in the fight but only the rogue died. Was pretty easy even with horrid lag.

did him with warrior, mage, rogue, priest, shaman (myself). he didnt sacrifice anyone and barely hurt us. we burned him down in under 15s i would say. smoked his monkey ass.

west side of ogre pavillion is the west side. you need the Crescent Key to open the doors/back doors to other sections. It can be found in the east side. Where you kill the water elemental, on the right side of the wall there is a small ramp/balcony where the Imp is. kill him for the second time (first time is up the big ramp with the elvish bitch) you get the keys.

the actual boss fights in west side are cake. there is an undead huntress and her bear, a giant treant, a magmadar/beholder hybrid thing and the prince. the prince/beholder dog are the last two kills. they arent hard. pretty straightforward melee. all i will say is do NOT get aggro off the tank on the prince. i did that once and watched my HP go from 3700 to 200 in about three seconds flat. the huntress has a multi shot that does pretty wicked damage too.

looking forward to ogres tonight

We did the whole instance last night between 3 crashes and 2 resets.

We ran Druid (Me), Mage, Pally, Warrior, Priest (lvl 58)....

Wasn't hard, we didn't read anything about it just ran through it outselves.

Got some nice crit % drops.... King retard dropped 2 druid items... :p

I'll link them when I get home now that I purchased some Adobe $600 proggy just to convert .tga to .jpg

:_(

Well after spending the first hour just getting in due to crashes, my pickup group got through ok. We ended up quitting right after the big tree destroyed the door because of an instance reset. We got quite a few blues actually. I got a +18int/+8sta/+8spi 8mana/5s staff that I'm using until I get a gbw/ac/th/gift. Also got a decent caster dagger off of a quest. Also saw a blue plate helm (+def I believe) drop. It's different, so it's a nice change of pace. I just rearranged all of my buttons on my hotbars, so I'm still adjusting to that and made things a little more hairy :p .

We did Zevrim with 4... Priest, Paladin, Mage, Hunter. Hunter's pet grabbed aggro and held aggro while I was sacrificed. Once I was off the table, pally healed me and he never sacrificed anyone after that.

Aggro definately felt different. Granted I'm not used to having a pally as a tank, but it took some getting used to. Since nothing really hit that hard, I just left the first heal down to greater heal rank 2 (2k HP) and after that usually didn't draw aggro. Our mage was having issues with drawing aggro, but that could have been an issue with the pally as tank.

I was actually surprised how difficult some of those groups of 3 were. I'm so used to having poly/sap/shackle/sleep that it's definately different.

here's that staff: http://www.altf4gaming.com/album/album69/WoWScrnShot_032305_140355.sized.jpg

Last edited:
Ran the entire thing with 2 Hunters, Druid, Warrior & Mage; I've never even encountered Zevrim's sacrifices.. I guess we dropped him pretty fast. Prince can be a nasty fight when not paying attention, he wiped us once. All in all, the loot is nice.. the quest trinkets are lovely consider most people use the UBRS quest trinket in combination with a Shard of Afrasa or Barov's.. 5 manning is actually less hectic and more concentrational which is fun. I got an epic ring (Myrmidon's Signet) drop on the very first Ironbark kill which was nice..

dire maul kicks ass. just did the west side first. sure is tough. we wiped like 10 times. the prince is a bitch but the dog went down ez.

Back