I'm making a warhammer 40k mod

Usher

Veteran X
I'm not sure what engine yet, but considering ut2k3. I'm posting to see who else has worked on a mod before, since I've never made the undertaking.

I've worked with the idea for a month and have my first model done for space marines. The plan is to work on teh models/animation/skins and have a majority done before I get a coder(unless I somehow find one)

Lookin for any advice on pitfalls or anything else I need (such as team size etc.) Feel free to reply or PM me, Ill accept help if anyones up to joining me right now, though its in early developement.

Here's the first player model. I made it in about 6 day's spare time after work. normals have only been smoothed on the helmet, so the rest of the model looks blocky. I'll fix that tongiht i hope, once I reinstall Maya. 3700 triangles.

progress.jpg

progress02.jpg

It's my first full body mesh evar. I do alot of traditional art, so that helps.

I probably won't get much responce because the only modders here are legends. Im hoping to release earlier than 3 years.

Xcursion said:
Don't even bother with HL2 engine, there's already a warhammer40k mod coming out for it.

except the games not out yet, and only select teams are getting the sdk early. I'm not sure I want to use the HL2 engine, but i won't let the fact that there is another mod keep me from choosing it if it offers me the most options. Who knows, i could absorb their team if it breaks up.

I will say this... I've been working on a SC mod for war3 for almost a year now, and during the course of that time we've changed a lot of members and completely re-done everything at one point or another as the team gets more experienced and we get more talented people helping out. Expect a good year of developement if not more for anything reasonabley large. Also expect it to take up a lot of your free time.

I'm interested in any advice you can offer. I've never done this before, and the way things work, there are matters I havent even considered that will add alot of time. I expect it to take at least a year, becasue it is a pretty big undertaking, with the ideas I have. I'm starting big and I guess ill figure out what I can and cant do.

Will it have tyranids and space orks? ;)

Not to discourage you or anything, but this idea has been done and failed a couple times now. (unless you count the warhammer40k mod for Tribes, which was somewhat of a failure anyway)
Perhaps you could contact whoever it was that was working on the W40k TC for Tribes2.
Whoever that was must have some free advice for you and might even contribute to your cause.

Anyway, Good luck!

Usher said:
I'm interested in any advice you can offer. I've never done this before, and the way things work, there are matters I havent even considered that will add alot of time. I expect it to take at least a year, becasue it is a pretty big undertaking, with the ideas I have. I'm starting big and I guess ill figure out what I can and cant do.
don't waste your time... think of a game that isn't being produced already.

It will actually feature Tyranids vs Space Marines to start. I don't want to try more than that, because I feel a fun mod can be made simply with two races.

I've researched the other mods that have been made, and I can verify they don't share the same mechanics I plan to include. I am basically taking what makes a game fun and putting it in the wh40k universe. Because others have failed gives no indication that it can't be done. Plus, I dont have to rely on other artists, since I can handle any of that side of things when i have to.

The concept is influenced by natural Selection, which is a great mod, though I am not going the route of the RTS/FPS game. I'm more going the squad - based route, with an array of weapons to choose from. I hope it works out , too.

Skibbi9 said:
don't waste your time... think of a game that isn't being produced already.

I havent seen a good 40k mod yet. If you're referring to firewarrior, its a SP game, featuring quake-style DM and CTF for 14 player multi.

Usher said:
except the games not out yet, and only select teams are getting the sdk early. I'm not sure I want to use the HL2 engine, but i won't let the fact that there is another mod keep me from choosing it if it offers me the most options. Who knows, i could absorb their team if it breaks up.
Except that they already have more done for it then you would have done by the time they release the mod. Their team is rather solid. They've been working on the mod for HL until recently they switch for HL2.

Again there is only so much you can do without the engine. Don't underestimate code time. If they simply move their existing mod over to hl2 they will be missing out on many of HL2's features.

BTW im curious. which mod are you talking about? Becasue there were 2 40k mods for HL.

Got Haggis? said:
i think there is a new warhammer game coming out.....i saw an ad in a mag a month ago or so...
Yeah, it was called Fire Warrior I think and looked really shitty. Don't waste your time trying to make a Warhammer 40k mod. Somone was trying to do that for T2, I think it was called Millenium 41, and they got hit with a cease and decist order. So I'd recommend that you don't bother with it.

FalseMyrmidon said:
Yeah, it was called Fire Warrior I think and looked really shitty. Don't waste your time trying to make a Warhammer 40k mod. Somone was trying to do that for T2, I think it was called Millenium 41, and they got hit with a cease and decist order. So I'd recommend that you don't bother with it.

Seriously? Were they trying to make money, or was it a free mod? Games Wrokshop is a bitch company. My main reason for doing 40k was the character design was done, so it would make the project simpler. I can still reconsider, especially becasue I have some original ideas of my own, if it's going to be a problem. that and the prospect of being able to make money in some way from the mod interests me.

Ive only dumped about a week into actual work on this, and it seems several people think its not worth it. Ill be considering.

Back