If the ice burgs melt wouldn't the sea level go down?

TyrranzzX

Veteran X
Most of a glacier is underwater.

When water freezes, it expands; this is why it floats, ice is less dense than water and also holds gas bubbles.

Thus, if the glaciers melted, the sea level would go down, not up.

"ice burgs" huh. lol.

if i were you, i'd sit down and study some english before i draw any scientific hypothosis.

iceburgs are only 8% above water.

same ratio as an ice cube in a cup.

That has absolutly nothing to do with glaciers.

Um, no. All the ice in the south pole is on land, when that melts into the ocean it means a rise in ocean levels. But you are correct about the North Pole.

orbital 123 said:
Um, no. All the ice in the south pole is on land, when that melts into the ocean it means a rise in ocean levels. But you are correct about the North Pole.

what about NANOBOTS???

borg.gif

aardvark said:
what about NANOBOTS???
isnt this getting kinda old? seriously, we ALL get it that he likes nano-tech but we REALLY dont need this to be mentioned in EVERY thread that he posts in....

If only the world's icebergs melted then he might be right (don't know the volume/mass or whatever to figure if he is correct or not).

But in his post he changes what he is talking about to glaciers...and definitely if GLACIERS melted...sea level would rise.

i wouldn't worry about the sea levels i'd worry about the change in the sea temp and what effect that would have on the enviorment....global warming is just the first step to a new ice age....so it gets warm for a couple centuries...then uber ice age begins again and only the equator is livable :p

okay a few things.

the world getting warmer will indeed melt glaciers and the north pol. However, the change in weather patterns would actually increase the size of the ice in Antarctica (where 90% of the worlds ice currently is... or something like that. Maybe its 80.. i can't remember the value). So you won't loose all the bergs. Just the northern hemisphere ones. For the first little while at least, if the temp keeps rising to further bugger weather patterns outside our current models Antarctica would be cactus too.

However that said, the temp rise to make the north pole become a berg free zone will through thermal expansion cause the sea level to rise. There is a far greater increase in the volume of the water in the ocean due to thermal expansion then through North pole + glaciers melting.

Last edited:
TyrranzzX said:
Most of a glacier is underwater.

When water freezes, it expands; this is why it floats, ice is less dense than water and also holds gas bubbles.

Thus, if the glaciers melted, the sea level would go down, not up.

I have never EVER wanted to shoot someone in the face as bad as I do you.

(and I was a teacher. God help you if Aestis ever sees this thread.)

millertime said:
isnt this getting kinda old? seriously, we ALL get it that he likes nano-tech but we REALLY dont need this to be mentioned in EVERY thread that he posts in....

he's a member trying to fit in, can you expect anything else?

Back