Identity Fraud. Need advice.

Slurp

Veteran XV
Ok, here is the story: Someone has been using my name and SSN to obtain credit cards and other services.

After getting a credit report, I contacted every place on the report in which an account was set up recently. Eventually, I finally got someone nice enough to provide a phone number, cell number, and address (for future reference, it helps to play dumb while asking for this info - everytime I was business-like-serious, the reply was always "I cant give out that information").

The cell phone got shut down, since it was set up under my name. I didn't even get a chance to call it. :/
The home number was unlisted, and answers with a generic answering machine. I didn't leave a message.
I posted fraud alerts to all of the credit verification companies.
I submitted a mail fraud form to the post office.

So, the next step was to confirm information about the apartment. Using methods which I dont want to reveal, it turns out that someone lives in that building with the same first initial, last name as myself.

I got the phone number of this person. A reverse lookup of this number gives a different name, but same address.

Ok, so now I have a good phone number of someone I suspect. I was going to call, but I'm not sure what to say. Any suggestions?

i would suggest YOU don't alert him to knowing who he is and you let people who can do something about it do something about it

T w i z t i D said:
i would suggest YOU don't alert him to knowing who he is and you let people who can do something about it do something about it

become the poor-mans pretender

you can go around with no identity and do crazy things

like work at a grocery store

or as a bank teller

you could get away with killing him, because you can present your living self as evidence that you/him is still alive

I was considering dumpster diving to see if he set up a bank account under my name. Then perhaps I could empty out that bank account.

Slurp said:
I was considering dumpster diving to see if he set up a bank account under my name. Then perhaps I could empty out that bank account.

:lol:

Would be funny if the guy called the cops on you and have the situation reversed somehow. ;)

see If He Answers To Your Name< Like Have Gabe Call And Pretend To Be A Telemarketer Selling "you" A Credit Card

Back