I went skydiving yesterday

Lupine

Veteran X
Jesus that was a rush. Nothing quite like the first few seconds when you're flipping around completely out of control and you realize "Hey, i have no idea how i'm oriented, i don't really know how to control myself, and there isn't a whole lot underneath me right now."

better than sex.

ive wanted to skydive for a long time, it just seems so expensive :/

what all did you have to do before you jumped, lessons and stuff?

I would die the first second and a half. With my fear of heights I would have a heart attack and it would be no fun. :)

Lupine said:
"Hey, i have no idea how i'm oriented, i don't really know how to control myself, and there isn't a whole lot underneath me right now."

I beg to differ...there is ALOT underneath you, rushing to you at terminal velocity!! :D

And...I heard the same thing, that it's better than sex. I just find it difficult to hurl myself out of a perfectly working airplane.

Skyler said:
I want to http://www.skydiveutah.com but I am 2 pounds over the maximum limit, but 22 over the recommended. Looks like I need to hit the gym!

gyme? What's a gyme?!

bah when i tandem jumped there was a guy there that was like 250 and they let go..240 was the max

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, a GYME!

Neckhole said:
ive wanted to skydive for a long time, it just seems so expensive :/

what all did you have to do before you jumped, lessons and stuff?

it's really not all that expensive as crazy hobbys go, i went to www.skydivesanmarcos.com and it was $130 for my first tandem.

Classes were "the door of the plane is real small, so kind of hunch over. We rock in, out, and out we go. Keep your arms folded on your chest until i tap your shoulders, when i tap them again bring in your arms and prepare for parachute. We'll worry about landing later"

It was a TINY plane too, 13 guys plus pilot and we were so packed i could have reached out and touched seven of them with no problems.

The fun part was where we had to jump early because there was something wrong with the plane. we were supposed to exit at 13,500 feet, but he abruptly slowed down at 10,500 and said "you guys need to get out now". Later i heard him talking to the woman at the desk about how "the problem" was back. I'm fairly sure they weren't just fucking with us either, because my friend who went last time said they jumped at 13.5, and everyone was mad about having to jump early.

First tandem is $150 ($130 during spring break), second is $130, third i don't know. then you do a few solo jumps where you show you can handle yourself in freefall.

Then it's like $20 a jump, even if you don't bring your own gear.

If you've been wanting to do it, GO DO IT. It's insane.

CrazyLEG said:
I beg to differ...there is ALOT underneath you, rushing to you at terminal velocity!! :D

And...I heard the same thing, that it's better than sex. I just find it difficult to hurl myself out of a perfectly working airplane.

See previous post :D

200 is the recommended, but it's $2 for every 1 pound over 200 up to 220.

So it would cost me $160 to tandem and $40 for my extra weight :\

I weigh 222 though, better than 3 months ago when I weighed 235.

Insane_Poodle said:
pics or you didnt really do it

The photo package was $75, and we were broke after paying for the jump. I have my (probably easy to forge) certificate saying i didn't die though.

I might get pics when i go again next month

Skyler said:

woah, fucked up. at the place i went it's the same price for everyone. wt limit is 230.

CrazyLEG said:

Come on you big chicken.. *BAWK* *BAWK*

The only thing that ever keeps me from doing it is the friggin cost...

I don't really wanna do the tandem jump thing at all either.. I want to go solo..

Jazmine said:
I would die the first second and a half. With my fear of heights I would have a heart attack and it would be no fun. :)

What if I'm afraid of heights?

Believe it or not...many skydivers are deathly afraid of heights! They would sooner jump out of an airplane rather than climb a step ladder. You will NOT feel the same vertigo sensation that you would standing on top of a tall building. NOR will you feel your bowels trying to escape through your throat as you would on a roller coaster. Freefall is more of a hovering sensation, it is as close to true "flying" as a human being can possibly experience.

I wouldnt say that I'm terrified of heights, but I'm definitely bothered by them.. But I've always gotten a huge rush from facing up to that..

Skyler said:

Jesus. At peak physical condition I weigh 230. To get down to 220 I'd have to not eat for a month or two until I start to get emaciated.

There's no option for us big people?

Back