I want to buy a fretless bass.

Wowbagger

Veteran X
I've been messing around with a low-class but servicible mexican P-bass for a long, long time now. But lately, I've been captivated with experimenting around with microtones, and decided to get myself a fretless bass so I can move unhindered from note to note.

Does anyone here actually play fretless electric bass? What model do you use/recommend?

Our bass player has a nice fretless, and I fucking hate it. I'm gonna tell him I can hear him sliding into notes and slightly missing others, see what he says. If you're gonna get a fretless, make damn sure your ear is good. Even then, I hate them.

Our bass player has a nice fretless, and I fucking hate it. I'm gonna tell him I can hear him sliding into notes and slightly missing others, see what he says. If you're gonna get a fretless, make damn sure your ear is good. Even then, I hate them.

heh
no shit
A pal in hs had an ovation fretless and for his fucking life he couldn't becertain to hit any fucking note on demand.
Learn stand up bass and THEN buy an electric fretless.

I've played a fretless a couple times and never had any problem.

Maybe I just couldn't tell I was doing it wrong.

Or maybe I'm just that good....probably

I have a Yamaha RBX800AF that is ok. I gave $250 for it a few years ago. The rosewood fretboard is a little dead compared to others. Mine looks like this but with black hardware.

yamaha.jpg

I'd be fine with fret markers... in fact I'm probably going to try marking areas between frets, so I can play under just intonation or using a 19-tone scale.

Who do you think you are? Steve DiGorgio?

seriously if you want to hear a master at the fretless listen to his stuff.

Unlike fretted basses....

...with a fretless, 99% of players sound either like shit or just sound off. There is a magic 1% of fretless players who can actually sound good doing it. These are players who have been playing fretless since 4th grade, usually on an upright.

Check this out:

Back