I shot a deer this weekend and am going to make jerky.

Morbid

Contributor
Veteran X
I have my Big Green Egg and I've wanted to do this for some time. Well here is my chance. I'll post my recipes when I do it later this week. I say "recipes" because I'm going to try a few different seasonings/marinades out.

Wish me luck. :D

Ok... It is time to post what I did...

I cut a backstrap in about 1/4 inch thick medallions and marinated them in Dale's Reduced Sodium and black pepper for about 36 hours.
2010_0206picsmeatprep0006.jpg

I mean Venison jerky not beef.

Cleaned out the Big Green Egg.
2010_0206picseggalmighty0009.jpg

Prepped my wood and charcoal coals(Hickory). Added wet chunks very soon after.
2010_0206picscoalprep0007.jpg

After I added the wet wood. Letting some heat and smoke out.
2010_0206picsSmoking0012-1.jpg

Still too hot and need to let out more smoke and heat. Need to get it under 150 degrees.
2010_0206picssmokin0011.jpg

Getting the temp down. :D

About 6 hours later...still not close to done(just flipped them). It's daylight now(I started doing it all at about 3 in the morning).
2010_0206picsgreatstart0015.jpg

Many hours later and only about 1/4 of the the meat left(my brothers came by and ate it all :( )
2010_0206picsDrakAngelateitall0018.jpg

And no Liquid Smoke needed since I used the real thing.

BTW... It fucking poured and my backyard was soaked... But the show had to go on. :D

Last edited:
Awesome. did you do your own butchering?

I just made some wild/feral pig sausage from a pig I shot. I screwed up a bit in oversalting it. I guess I'll cook them in boiling water then grill/fry them afterwards.

Awesome. did you do your own butchering?

I just made some wild/feral pig sausage from a pig I shot. I screwed up a bit in oversalting it. I guess I'll cook them in boiling water then grill/fry them afterwards.

I always butcher the deer I shoot. My uncle taught me how to butcher deer years ago. I usually half ass the steaks and just cut the legs into roasts. Lets face it... venison doesn't make the best best steaks.

One of the finest filet mignons I've ever tasted was venison. The hunter had cut the filets into 4oz blocks, injected them with sugar water of some recipe, and dry aged it for a couple of weeks. They were spectacular.

I've also had some venison summer sausage which was delicious, and some jerky that was OK.

Damn, I love me some deer. Why don't they sell it in the supermarket?

One of the finest filet mignons I've ever tasted was venison. The hunter had cut the filets into 4oz blocks, injected them with sugar water of some recipe, and dry aged it for a couple of weeks. They were spectacular.

I've also had some venison summer sausage which was delicious, and some jerky that was OK.

Damn, I love me some deer. Why don't they sell it in the supermarket?

Deer steak can be excellent. It's definitely much different than beef steak, but a properly seasoned and grilled (rare) deer steak can melt in your mouth. :drool:

And deer season in Bama and Mississippi starts later and ends later because the rut is barely happening right now.

is it me or does that house look like a stereotypical redneck house?

House? It's a cabin.

You know... where people with money go to act like rednecks for the weekend?

I know it looks like all the other houses in your neighborhood so it might be confusing to your coonass brain. ;)

Here is a shot of the backyard and the driveway.

2010_0125backpic0012.jpg

2010_0125driveway0009.jpg

And deer season in Bama and Mississippi starts later and ends later because the rut is barely happening right now.

south carolina deer season rocks, bow season comes in mid september, then gun season in october, runs all the way through jan 1st

niice...deer normally taste to gamey for me. there is suppose to be some way to get it out like salt water and buttermilk where its not as strong of a taste. I tried both with not much luck. any tips i got an entire freezer full of venison a friend gave me.

niice...deer normally taste to gamey for me. there is suppose to be some way to get it out like salt water and buttermilk where its not as strong of a taste. I tried both with not much luck. any tips i got an entire freezer full of venison a friend gave me.

Uhh.. the only way I don't taste the game flavor is if it's cooked in a crock pot stew for many hours.

I have heard that if you soak it in Whole milk for 24+ hours it helps. But you already said the buttermilk thing.Did you soak it for 24+ hours?

I, however, love the game flavor of Venison. You must be gay or something. ;)

I made 2 batches and the first one had way too much heat and was left on for way too long. The second batch was a hell of a lot better but was still a bit over done.

I will take pics of the third batch I make tonight or tomorrow. I'll even do a short vid. :)

No mistakes this time.

Back