I just paid $180 for a bottle of beer

you do realize that the overpriced shit you're talking about is entirely unlike the overpriced shit he's talking about right?

you do realize that the overpriced shit you're talking about is entirely unlike the overpriced shit he's talking about right?

Yeah of course, the overpriced shit (at $10 a bottle no less, OUCH) is far superior to the overpriced shit (at $90 a bottle, :lol:) that he's talking about.

Have you ever had Utopias?

Why bother? I would hardly even call it a beer. Its a social masturbation tool, and I guess those that are easily influenced by an apparent social boost by spending that much on what is essentially a hopped liqueur, then hey go for it ... you obviously need it.

Why bother? I would hardly even call it a beer. Its a social masturbation tool, and I guess those that are easily influenced by an apparent social boost by spending that much on what is essentially a hopped liqueur, then hey go for it ... you obviously need it.

Your belgian shit is a social masturbation tool.

I bought a $500 bottle of vodka once. I bought it to impress the person I was with at the time and because it had a really cool crystal built into the bottle. :shrug:

Your belgian shit is a social masturbation tool.

:D except it's not considering they are always well regarded by recognised beer & wine tasters and foodies the world over.

The first time I even heard of this Utopia was in this thread, which shows you how well known it is in the rest of the world.

Lets get down to some grassroots shit here ... The utopias versus the two I mentioned in a previous post.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/25759
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/207/645
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/313/1545

Last edited:
Well, obviously you have never heard of trappist beers before or you would realise how stupid your comment was. Quality is not based on the country of origin, all trappist beers come from Belgium except for one which comes from Denmark.

The judgement of quality comes from the history of the beer, and most of the trappist beers have 300 years plus of history, water that comes from abbey springs, yeasts that are cultivars of 600 year old strains in some cases. Some trappists have a history that can be traced back to before the puritans landed on the shores of the Americas.

A final measure of quality, is the ability to cellar a beer, most beers that use commercial yeast strains and often include preservatives cannot be "aged" in a cellar to improve the flavour, in fact keep most beers past their shelf date and they go very very wrong, however most trappist beers can be cellared past 10 years with a noticeable improvement in quality similar to wines.

Beer snobbery isn't about buying an expensive bottle and going "Look ma, I'm a snob" no, beer snobbery is about understanding beer, its origins, its history, and knowing that America has no history or skills to compare with the benedictine monks who have been making this shit for centuries, long before the US was even colonised.

So, "snob" now that you have an education in beer, please, go into the world and experience REAL quality, without paying a stupid fortune for the privilege. I will even give you a leg up, the two absolute "must try" Trappist beers are Westvleteren and Rochefort, both with a very long old history that produce cellerable beers. Also, Chimay are a sell out (ingredient and technique wise), don't bother mentioning them.

Its as insulting as trying to tell me a Californian Zinfandel is an adequate comparison to a French Bordeaux from a respected winery.

:D
FUCK UR EUROTRASH BEER HISTORY. DOGFISH HEAD GETS YA DRUNK!

:D except it's not considering they are always well regarded by recognised beer & wine tasters and foodies the world over.

The first time I even heard of this Utopia was in this thread, which shows you how well known it is in the rest of the world.

Lets get down to some grassroots shit here ... The utopias versus the two I mentioned in a previous post.

Samuel Adams Utopias - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) - Boston, MA - BeerAdvocate
Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort (Abbaye de Notre-Dame de Saint-Rémy) - Rochefort, Belgium - BeerAdvocate
Trappist Westvleteren 12 - Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) - Westvleteren, Belgium - BeerAdvocate

Your not ever hearing it doesn't say anything about the beer, nor the rest of the world; it only explains more about you.

It's even in the Guinness book of world records. They make a few dozen barrels of the stuff a year, have been making it less than 10 years, and it still has 200+ reviews on beeradvocate.

Oh, and it's the strongest naturally brewed beer in the world. Your belgian stuff would be hard pressed to make it past about 13% with their yeasts.

Oh, and it's the strongest naturally brewed beer in the world. Your belgian stuff would be hard pressed to make it past about 13% with their yeasts.
wait, so beer quality isnt actually important, just ABV? So if all you are interested in is getting drunk there are much cheaper ways.

$180 bottle of beer exists for the same reason theres a $2k ice cream sundae and a $500 bowl of noodles with kobe beef

sheep for slaughter

Cliff Notes: Read OP that's it.

I have worked for and or at Michelin Rated restaurants, so I understand why one might impulse buy a beer of this nature. However, why not go to an establishment that offers Louie XIV, from my limited knowledge, as a connoisseur you'd probably get more out of that one shot than you would out of that beer.

$180 bottle of beer exists for the same reason theres a $2k ice cream sundae and a $500 bowl of noodles with kobe beef

sheep for slaughter

Hate to say it but, don't knock that Kobi until you've had the Waygu. Best you can ever have in my opinion.

I do loves my belgian beers

but saying beer is shit just because it comes from a certain place is just ignorance

American microbreweries put out some of the best stuff around

:lol: a perfect example of a dumb american who can't think outside the box.

your statement "go out into the world and experience real quality" seems to contradict your singular passion for Belgian beer. what you really meant was "try Belgian beer".

wait, so beer quality isnt actually important, just ABV? So if all you are interested in is getting drunk there are much cheaper ways.

You really don't get it. It's not about alcohol content. It's about creativity and innovation. It's about pushing the limits of conventional brewing knowledge simply for the sake of being different and seeing if you can get something better out of it.

Shit man, it's art.

Well, obviously you have never heard of trappist beers before or you would realise how stupid your comment was. Quality is not based on the country of origin, all trappist beers come from Belgium except for one which comes from Denmark.

The judgement of quality comes from the history of the beer, and most of the trappist beers have 300 years plus of history, water that comes from abbey springs, yeasts that are cultivars of 600 year old strains in some cases. Some trappists have a history that can be traced back to before the puritans landed on the shores of the Americas.

A final measure of quality, is the ability to cellar a beer, most beers that use commercial yeast strains and often include preservatives cannot be "aged" in a cellar to improve the flavour, in fact keep most beers past their shelf date and they go very very wrong, however most trappist beers can be cellared past 10 years with a noticeable improvement in quality similar to wines.

Beer snobbery isn't about buying an expensive bottle and going "Look ma, I'm a snob" no, beer snobbery is about understanding beer, its origins, its history, and knowing that America has no history or skills to compare with the benedictine monks who have been making this shit for centuries, long before the US was even colonised.

So, "snob" now that you have an education in beer, please, go into the world and experience REAL quality, without paying a stupid fortune for the privilege. I will even give you a leg up, the two absolute "must try" Trappist beers are Westvleteren and Rochefort, both with a very long old history that produce cellerable beers. Also, Chimay are a sell out (ingredient and technique wise), don't bother mentioning them.

Its as insulting as trying to tell me a Californian Zinfandel is an adequate comparison to a French Bordeaux from a respected winery.

:D

I always like the European response to everything America does better than them - "Oh yeah, well we're older"

Back