HTPC: Video Cards

DarkBlade

Veteran XX
I'm going to turn an old computer into an HTPC however it currently doesn't have a video card. I've been looking around but not sure what would be acceptable.

It's not for gaming, just watching videos and maybe the seldom emulator use and it need to be PCIx16.

I'm going to turn an old computer into an HTPC however it currently doesn't have a video card. I've been looking around but not sure what would be acceptable.

It's not for gaming, just watching videos and maybe the seldom emulator use and it need to be PCIx16.

One of the nice things about the PCIx system is that you can use a 1x or 4x or 8x card in a 16x slot.

Check out ati's hd wonder series, and also hauppage.

Meh. Doesn't really matter for something like that, as long as it can output to your TV without any problems.

I would recommend getting something better, though, and making it into a DVR with HDTV output and a TV tuner with onboard processing. :shrug:

Last edited:
Meh. Doesn't really matter for something like that, as long as it can output to your TV without any problems.

I would recommend getting something better, though, and making it into a DVR with HDTV output and a TV tuner with onboard processing. :shrug:
Well I would rely on my already existing mythtv backend. I just needed a medium to get the videos I download on the tv.

Nvidia PCI-Express card with passive cooling, something around the 7600 range probably. That'll work a lot better for MythTV than any ATI card, guaranteed.

Buy a Flyswatter 1047. It will have all the TVQA you are looking for but will not put a hole in our pocket.

For what you need it for it is better than the other options (not only becuase of price) but because it is designed to do what you want it to do.

32 GHD per channel
3X Inter-flatulating
Active heat sinking submarinering (see Inter-flatulating feature)
25% more time away from family and friends.

Nvidia PCI-Express card with passive cooling, something around the 7600 range probably. That'll work a lot better for MythTV than any ATI card, guaranteed.
Well I currently have a 6800GT in my main computer and I'm waiting a few months before upgrading to the 8800 series so I really don't want to spend that much.

One of the nice things about the PCIx system is that you can use a 1x or 4x or 8x card in a 16x slot.

Check out ati's hd wonder series, and also hauppage.
PCI-E or PCI-Express, PCI-X is something else entirely.

And since you're not gaming any card that can output to your TV would be fine. Likely through S-Video or perhaps DVI if you got a more highend TV.

the nvidia FX5200 is a $60 card and the benchmarks for htpcs because of the onboard video processing it can do.

PCI-E or PCI-Express, PCI-X is something else entirely.

And since you're not gaming any card that can output to your TV would be fine. Likely through S-Video or perhaps DVI if you got a more highend TV.
Original poster said PCIx, so I got confused.

Back