HTC One X / Samsung Galaxy S3?

Skibbi9

Contributor
Veteran XX
Anyone have the HTC One X yet? first impressions?

Was thinking of waiting to get the Galaxy S3, but they're probably going to bastardize it in the US like they did with the One X (to allow for LTE without destroying battery life) I'd like to stay on ATT for coverage (verizon is very spotty around my office). And my Galaxy S1 is dying (on/off button doesn't work anymore).

Basically trying to decide whether to just get the one x now or manage to hold out for another 2 months til the galaxy should come out.

I don't like that the bootloader is locked on the one x

I don't like that the bootloader is locked on the one x

Was going to post this. The One X is the superior phone, but the locked bootloader is bullshit.

Also, if you use the HTC Unlocker (on the International version, which doesn't have a locked bootloader) it voids your warranty. No other company voids your warranty for unlocking your phone (not even fucking Apple). :fu:

I'd either wait for someone to crack the One X (S-Off, will be able to root it and you can then fully restore it to factory so that HTC can't void your warranty, they won't know any different) or just go with the S3 even though it's inferior (and ugly IMO). :hrm:

HTC products are also garbage and notorious for things like horrible battery life and non-existent support after release. I'm the former owner of two HTC devices (most recently the Evo) and they were both trash.

Samsung has far superior build quality and QA.

HTC products are also garbage and notorious for things like horrible battery life and non-existent support after release. I'm the former owner of two HTC devices (most recently the Evo) and they were both trash.

Samsung has far superior build quality and QA.

my friends that have HTC products are generally positive. samsung is pretty trash about software updates

i don't like at&t's 16 gb, no removeable battery/no microsd. Trying to get a release date from the s3 to decide moreso

my last bout with the Evo includes 5 total swaps for general hardware failure between my wife and I (we each had one). From what the Sprint rep told me, there are three open "no questions asked" issues with the EVO and 2 with the EVO 3d that just result in a free swap for a refurb without troubleshooting. Among the handful of other folks I know that have it, there were a bunch of hardware problems and battery life was similarly atrocious as well.

I previously had an HTC Snap issued through work (their last Windows CE phone I believe)and it was a huge pile of shit as well, but more so that it would physically break...keys would come off, random bits of the plastic case..etc. And I'm not hard on my phones by any means.

one x for sure, s3 has fallen short

i don't understand this. they'll probably have the same processors. the s3 has a bigger battery and likely wont be restricted to 16gb. also the s3 will have a swappable battery (one x is fixed in at&t)

i've had 32gb on my phone for the last several years and wouldn't really want to go lower.

grrr.

my last bout with the Evo includes 5 total swaps for general hardware failure between my wife and I (we each had one). From what the Sprint rep told me, there are three open "no questions asked" issues with the EVO and 2 with the EVO 3d that just result in a free swap for a refurb without troubleshooting. Among the handful of other folks I know that have it, there were a bunch of hardware problems and battery life was similarly atrocious as well.

I previously had an HTC Snap issued through work (their last Windows CE phone I believe)and it was a huge pile of shit as well, but more so that it would physically break...keys would come off, random bits of the plastic case..etc. And I'm not hard on my phones by any means.
I've had multiple HTC phones with 0 issues (other than the having shitty battery life thanks to HTC phones always having small batteries and Sense being a battery hog).

I've also had a few Samsung phones which always have more software issues (and Samsung abandons them much quicker than HTC does).

Overall I don't really see any reason to upgrade from my current HTC Sensation one way or another (if you have a SGSII I don't think I'd bother upgrading either). :hrm:

trippy... i love my EVO phone and have been looking on getting their new one. the only issue i have is with it small memory and shitty battery life. i wish i could move all apps to the sd card.

And which networks would said international version support?

I'm on T-mobile now. Can we assume it will work across GSM networks?

Edit: Found it on Wikipedia. It supports the 1700 and 2100MHz bands so I should be good to go.

Last edited:
I'm sticking with the google branded phones now... fuck this os delays rom hunting boot loading bs

And which networks would said international version support?

I'm on T-mobile now. Can we assume it will work across GSM networks?

Edit: Found it on Wikipedia. It supports the 1700 and 2100MHz bands so I should be good to go.
Since it's GSM it will work for voice and (EDGE/2G) data on AT&T and T-Mobile to my knowledge. I don't think it would work with 3G/4G on either network though.

Which is weird because my (International) HTC Sensation has the AWS band (for T-Mobile data) but the (International) HTC One X doesn't. I guess AT&T is really digging their claws into HTC. :hrm:

Since it's GSM it will work for voice and (EDGE/2G) data on AT&T and T-Mobile to my knowledge. I don't think it would work with 3G/4G on either network though.

Which is weird because my (International) HTC Sensation has the AWS band (for T-Mobile data) but the (International) HTC One X doesn't. I guess AT&T is really digging their claws into HTC. :hrm:

Yeah you're right. The Intl version lacks the 1700MHz band required for HSPA+ on T-Mobile US.

HTC jumped the fucking shark with this phone anyway. No battery swap, no SD card slot? Are they for real?

Yeah you're right. The Intl version lacks the 1700MHz band required for HSPA+ on T-Mobile US.

HTC jumped the fucking shark with this phone anyway. No battery swap, no SD card slot? Are they for real?
I think most versions of the phone comes with free 25gb of dropbox. (not at&t)

The one X is rumored to come to Tmobile a quad core, time will tell though. I'd get the Onex over the s3 just because it looks great.

Went with OneX. I've been DYING with an outdated broken phone for awhile. Bootloader being locked is a huge disappointment but that'll get unlocked one way or the other. No sd card will be interesting, must embrace the cloud 25gb of storage with dropbox. I don't mind coming from a very limited device.

Screen is amazing, the feel is great, very fast. Battery life is pretty good so far but too early to tell. Anandtech's review of the US ATT battery was very good.. check it: AnandTech - The HTC One X for AT&T Review

Back