[HOW TO] Host a *dedicated* server, configure, setup webadmin

Drunken Scoundrels is now up. Thanks for the tips! Currently running 16 players, but will probably increase it if there are no major screw-ups.

Last edited:
TySoft said:
With the default settings + MaxClientRate set to 10000, my 24 man CTF server (]CkB[ Don't Ask Don't Tell) hovers at 70% CPU usage under Emerald on a P4 2.8 with 1gb RAM. At a quick glance, I am averaging 1.0Mbit/s out and 500Mbit/s in according to my RTG graphs.

If this is true, then purchasing T:V servers is going to be EXPENSIVE AS HELL. I hope its not freakin 70 % cpu usage on a P4 2.8 with a gig of ram. If so theres either a problem with your server setup or a terribly sys hoggin game for running a server.

CandyMan said:
Oh yea, hell was dropped to 20 players cause apparently the CPU goes to 100% on a P4 2.4 with 1gb ram for the hosting server... where it runs a 30 player ut2k4 server just fine and it runs 3 T1 24 players just fine.

posr said:
If this is true, then purchasing T:V servers is going to be EXPENSIVE AS HELL. I hope its not freakin 70 % cpu usage on a P4 2.8 with a gig of ram. If so theres either a problem with your server setup or a terribly sys hoggin game for running a server.

I'd like to see some sort of official feedback on this. Is a P4 2.4 /supposed/ to max out 99% with 24 players? Hell..it was maxing out even with 20. We had to drop it to 18.

Is this /normal/? Are we doing something wrong? If not..is this something that will be fixed?

I'd just like to see something official..because..wow..that'll make server hosting pretty damn hard to do for anyone without a lot of money.

Heh I posted my own tut on setting up a server over at official forums never though about looking here..

Any way it seems to use less CPU then our UT2K4 18 player AS server and RvS servers, which uses around 15-24%
We are running Dual Zeons 2.8GHZ with 2 gigs of ram on Win2k3.

The T:V 18 player CTF only uses 12-19% CPU witch is surprising since it’s less CPU then UT2K4.

Thx for the post now I should be able to get the MOTD to work.

Interesting. Since I run a UT2k4 server off of the exact same box TV is on and a 20 player server takes no more than 55% and at 30 players it never goes over 80% use.

Also, you probably should shut off the HT support, it's a common issue to leave it on and windows2k3 effing over your apps thinking there are more procs there than actually are so it misthreads shazbot too much. That's why companies like dell and hp have it turned off in the bios by default

note, it's Xeon

And those looking to do multihoming try this
multihome IpAddress Used for servers which have multiple external IP addresses. This parameter tells the engine which IP should be used for this server. ( multihome=65.250.14.199) and such.
Of course you also have to tell it to use multiple server files, which is this setting
ini=server.ini (commandline param)
This way you can use one directory and multiple configs within it.

CandyMan said:
And those looking to do multihoming try this
multihome IpAddress Used for servers which have multiple external IP addresses. This parameter tells the engine which IP should be used for this server. ( multihome=65.250.14.199) and such.
Of course you also have to tell it to use multiple server files, which is this setting
ini=server.ini (commandline param)
This way you can use one directory and multiple configs within it.

hmm didnt work when I tried it..
I added to the shortcut though not in the ini, perhaps that is why it didnt work?

I always averaged in the 90s with UT2k4 24 man *Onslaught*. Other modes were much lower CPU%.

It's so intensive that only an Opteron rig can run 32man UT2k4 Onslaught. Unreal engine is just a beast for servers as far as I've seen. The T:V cpu utilization is right where I thought it'd be, after hosting UT2004 Onslaught mode.

My CPU utilization is running 20-30% less than Onslaught UT2004. It would constantly hit 100% and lag up the entire game.

Ceiling Fan, try adjusting your tick rate in the ini. Tick rate is how many updates are sent to a player per second, AFAIK. I know it has a *huge* effect on server performance (but it has an equal effect in gameplay... makes precision weapons like sniper rifles more difficult to hit players - unless something has been changed in UT2k4.)

Last edited:
To get the web interface to work, try adding the username and password command line flags to your startup command.

Tribesv_mpbeta_en.exe mp-isle?maxplayers=24?AdminName=Admin?AdminPassword=XXXXXX -server ini=tribesv_mpbeta_en.ini log=tribesv_mpbeta_en.log port=7777

Last edited:
Ok, I am doing something stupid here, hopefully someone can help. I created a shortcut to my servers desktop of tribesv_mpbeta_en.exe and modified it to read tribesv_mpbeta_en.exe mp-isle?maxplayers=26 -server and I am told the path is not valid. Tried removing quotes, creating a batch file, etc, but to no avail. Anyone have any idea what simple step I am missing? Oddly enough I ran a UT2K4 server without hassles on the same box....

My shortcut is:
"C:\Tribes Vengeance Beta\Program\Bin\tribesv_mpbeta_en.exe mp-isle?maxplayers=26 -server"

And my starting folder is:
"C:\Tribes Vengeance Beta\Program\Bin\"

Also, there is no tribesAdmin.ini in my Program\Bin directory

you need to put the closing quote at the end of the exe

make it:

"C:\Tribes Vengeance Beta\Program\Bin\tribesv_mpbeta_en.exe" mp-isle?maxplayers=26 -server

instead of tribes admin ini, you can set up admin by adding 2 more things to shortcut:

Alternatively, you can add one username/password to your shortcut and then configure additional admins in the web interface (next). To do this, add ?AdminName=administrator?AdminPassword=pass to your shortcut so it looks something like:

\bin\Tribesv_mpbeta_en.exe mp-isle?maxplayers=21?AdminName=administrator?AdminPa ssword=pass -server

^^ That may be easier since you don't have to bother with tribesadmin.ini

Just thought I would give some feedback on CPU and Useage.

Dual Opteron 246
2GB DDR

32 Player (Branzone Central)
CPU Load: 42-48% (for those who dont know this is 1 entire CPU.)
Ram Load: 250-350MB

Dual Xeon 3.06
2GB DDR

32 Player (Branzone East)
CPU Load: 50% (for those who dont know this is 1 entire CPU.)
Ram Load: 250-350MB

At the time these servers were full for about 6-7 hours straight. They were the only processes running on the box's. At 20 players both of these box's performed about the same way, at 30-40% cpu.

Last edited:
Big Monkey said:
Helado, in your password stuff...do I have to put the asterisk around it? Cuz it ain't working for me now.

no, no asterisk

should just be GamePassword=supersecret

Only advice I could offer is try to edit it while the server is down. UT servers do some wierd things when editing the .ini's while it's running.

Thanks, I have the server running now. I put the admin lines in there but it is not working for web admin. here is my current lines:

"C:\Tribes Vengeance Beta\Program\Bin\tribesv_mpbeta_en.exe" mp-isle?maxplayers=26 AdminName=Admin?AdminPassword=***** -server ini=tribesv_mpbeta_en.ini -server

Does someone have a default ini for the servers that we can just edit and load, seems it might be easier or at least an option for those having trouble to kust load the ini file in startup?

Are you sure the Antispeedhack flag goes in the default.ini? Wouldn't it go in the tribes_en whatever .ini? The only time I see the default.ini used is if that .ini is messed up.

Back