How is Tribes: Ascend these days?

so apparently they are making lots of changes to tribes assend. Last time I tried to run it, it would just crash (this was before they announced they were making changes) and i've been too lazy to fire it up again to see if they fixed the crash problem.

T:A PTS2 is on the right track to getting the game to where it needed to be in beta like, what, 4 years ago? Most of the non-tribesey shit is gone and the fact that it's pissing off a lot of people who relied on overpowered weapons and gear, midair maneuverability, "stealth", and other things that were annoyances that had played a tribes game before is great to see in chat and their reddit.

The class system is gone, lights can carry 3 weapons (med 4, heavy 5) and the discs have been balanced so they all do the same amount of damage, imagine that. There are still balance issues but the game is leaps and bounds better than it was in its final form before they started working on it again.

Splash damage is linear as opposed to banded as it was before which is great and makes a ton of sense.

Here is a full list of changed they made in the latest patch released about a week ago, it's huge, check it out!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14NQsLAIfJ7-kZldS8Om0WQGj2frUNU3fVFSvM2Ql2Ac/pub

Highlights:
“Ice Coaster is inspired by Tribes 1 legacy map Rollercoaster”

“Linear falloff allows players to adjust how much damage vs. impulse they get from disk jumping and other explosives. It also rewards better shots for skilled players, allows for larger explosions increasing new player's likelihood to hit, and is a simpler system to understand.”

Projectile collision sizes have been adjusted to be similar across devices.

Call-ins removed

“Weapons have been simplified and condensed down to a less overwhelming number. Weapons will come back in a later patch if they offer additional gameplay value. Damage numbers, ammo counts, radii, and falloff have all been modified to further balance the game.”

“We are increasing the number of weapons carried by light armor to support the classic, and well rounded, Disk + Chain + Grenade Launcher loadout.”

Perks Removed

“Perks were not compelling enough. Some specific combinations were required to fulfill a role adequately, others didn’t promote good playstyle behavior, or they were next to useless and never picked.”

“All base spinfusors are balanced between light, medium, and heavy.”

“Fractal’s area denial time has been drastically reduced; its final explosion damage has also been reduced by 90%”

The physics are still complete trash, though. No amount of loadout or weapon tweaking will fix that.

This. Also, the games inclusion of assault rifles is irritating as hell. Most battles end in being mowed down by those things. The physics, especially as heavy armor is horrid, its really hard to change direction, even with a large burst of jets.

I keep logging back into T:A every time they update the test servers, but jesus christ do I log out fast as I find it's the same stupid shit.

Back