Houston People

Onnotangu

Veteran X
I am going to be traveling to Houston in may and would like to know if there is anything I should do while I'm there. Also are there any local restaurants you guys would recommend?

My family lives in the Houston area, although I grew up in Austin. There is a good Italian food chain that started in the Houston area called Carrabba's. You should give it a try if you see one. There are other people more qualified to comment on Houston's intricacies because I don't know the city very well to be honest.

Carrabba's is meh.

If you want amazing hole in the wall places you must go to:
Hans - B4-U-EAT - Hans Mongolian BBQ in Houston Texas Restaurant & Dining Guide
Tokyo Bowl (Best Sushi in the US supposedly) - B4-U-EAT - Tokyo Bowl in Houston Texas Restaurant & Dining Guide
Shawarma King Mediterranean Cuisine (get the chicken w/ garlic toum sauce on their weird ass tortilla) - B4-U-EAT - Shawarma King Mediterranean Cuisine in Houston Texas Restaurant & Dining Guide

Chains:
Zios - B4-U-EAT - Houston Texas Restaurant & Dining Guide

Breakfast:
Bronco Breakfast Burritos (6am-noon) - B4-U-EAT - Houston Texas Restaurant & Dining Guide

High dollar meat coma:
Welcome to Fogo de Chão

Houston reminds me of a hot, humid, more polluted, flatter, blacker version of Colorado Springs.

And you all know how I feel about that.

Oh, my boss is from Houston. And he's a jew. So if you have any good Houston/jew jokes, I'd love to hear them and share them with boss.

go to yao ming's restaurant

see a rockets game

It really isn't all that great, Fungs is the best chinese in the city hands down, Carrabas is good as long as you go to either the one on Voss or Kirby as they are the only 2 still owned by Johnny, others are franchised out and are hit or miss. For Italian we generally go to Carrabas (pollo rosa maria is incredible), Maggiano's ( a highschool friend of mine is the bar manager there so free drinks) or La Grilga ( this is walking distance from my house)

You should eat some seafood since we are right on the gulf, Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen part of the Pappas family which originated in Houston or Ragin Cajun Seafood. Those are in Houston if you venture down to Kemah or Galveston there are too many good seafood places to name.
I'll be honest I'm not a huge seafood person unless its sushi so there could very well be better places then this.

BBQ - strange as it seems Houston really doesn't have an outstanding BBQ place when compared to other Texas cities. My favorites in order would be Luling City Market, Thelma's followed by Goode Company.

and Tex- Mex only 2 places you need to know El Tiempo Cantina and Lupe Tortilla's, Lupes is known for their fajitas and margaritas.

Being Texas we have several outstanding steak houses, Pappas Bros, The Strip House, Perry's Steakhouse & Grille, Vic and Anthonys, The Capital Grille and Sullivan's Steakhouse to name a few. All of these places are top notch and will cost some $$$ but well worth it.

If there is an Astros game while you are here go, the stadium is great and you can get tickets relatively cheap for mid week games, if the weather is nice they open the roof and the downtown skyline is the back drop.

It really isn't all that great, Fungs is the best chinese in the city hands down, Carrabas is good as long as you go to either the one on Voss or Kirby as they are the only 2 still owned by Johnny, others are franchised out and are hit or miss. For Italian we generally go to Carrabas (pollo rosa maria is incredible), Maggiano's ( a highschool friend of mine is the bar manager there so free drinks) or La Grilga ( this is walking distance from my house)

You should eat some seafood since we are right on the gulf, Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen part of the Pappas family which originated in Houston or Ragin Cajun Seafood. Those are in Houston if you venture down to Kemah or Galveston there are too many good seafood places to name.
I'll be honest I'm not a huge seafood person unless its sushi so there could very well be better places then this.

BBQ - strange as it seems Houston really doesn't have an outstanding BBQ place when compared to other Texas cities. My favorites in order would be Luling City Market, Thelma's followed by Goode Company.

and Tex- Mex only 2 places you need to know El Tiempo Cantina and Lupe Tortilla's, Lupes is known for their fajitas and margaritas.

Being Texas we have several outstanding steak houses, Pappas Bros, The Strip House, Perry's Steakhouse & Grille, Vic and Anthonys, The Capital Grille and Sullivan's Steakhouse to name a few. All of these places are top notch and will cost some $$$ but well worth it.

If there is an Astros game while you are here go, the stadium is great and you can get tickets relatively cheap for mid week games, if the weather is nice they open the roof and the downtown skyline is the back drop.

As a native Houstonian I agree with much of the above. I do think Houston has great BBQ, however (love Luling City).

If you want great pizza go to Barry's on Fountainview or Fuzzy's.

Last time I went to La Griglia it sucked balls. I would never go there again with Tony Mandola's just next door.

To each their own, but lets be honest Mandolas really isn't an Italian place , its more of a seafood restaurant with a mixture of Cajun and Italian thrown in. They do have the best key lime cheesecake.

I agree about Azuma, one of the best sushi places in town

Back