home security recommendations

narmF

Veteran X
buying new home in a not-all-white community because i'm not a 1%er. the recently completed house has already received some damage to the siding from what appears to have been rocks thrown at it. these will be fixed by the builder before i move in but between this incident and the high number of break-ins within a mile of the area, i feel like some basic home security may be a good idea.

what are some good diy options to both deter thieves/vandals and catch them?

i was thinking a moat with spikes around the property, but imagine technological advancements of the past couple thousand years have lead to the creation of something more practical.

this isn't going to work because imgur on tw broke:
200_s.gif

What are your state regulations regarding protecting your property?

The basic stuff would be security cameras around your house, Schlage locks and deadbolts, a well trained German Shepherd, and a shotgun and/or handgun.

Dogs and/or visible cameras are best deterrents.

Monitored alarm systems are next to useless. The monitoring company will call you first, lots of time lost, and then cops get called.... and they don't give a fuck because there are so many false alarms.

The best thing to get is a Canary or Piper camera (or two or three) and self-monitor your home. These units will send you notifications when they sense motion (or other parameters) and you get a live feed on your smartphone... if someone is in there, you call 911 and cops will get out there quickly because you have visual confirmation of a robbery in progress.

There ya have it.

Spiky Yucca plants (tipped with your faeces)

also a cloud camera can help after the fact. Not sure which are any good but I'm sure NGFM is up to speed with those

i just bought a nice samsung dvr/4 camera hd system

realizing the wifi ready shit is for the dvr box only is pretty stupid

i fucking hate running cables

i put up 4 wireless arlo cameras outside covering all corners, wifi window sensors on all windows, and 2 guardzilla's inside covering the 2 entrances.

all of them will text me if any motion is detected. if it detects motion, the cams upload the footage + pics to my FTP or e-mail.. the guardzilla can even send out a loud ass siren if i need it to which would prolly scare off anyone trying to fuck with you.

while you're asleep, put up http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-L...ustable-Door-Security-Bar-265DCCSEN/100210730 to block doors if needed.

aside from that, sleep with a gun on the night stand. just my 2c from a dude that used to live in some ghetto ass places. i'm in a white ass part of town now so i have complete overkill, but that was my setup back when i was around the nigs. also, NRA signs help from what the other rednecks around here told me before

NRA signs r great for niggers looking 2 steal guns

if u really paranoid or have shitty doors

just use a chair 4 jam or something that will make a loud noise if it falls over

lastly get a big fukin dog

Camera system and dog. Get a newer HD system. Since the home is new, have the builder run RJ-45 lan cables from all 4 corners of the home, to the spot where you will have the computer room. Cameras can run POE (Power over Ethernet). I'd have cables from to the street, mount 2 cameras on a pole facing each direction. Mount the cameras inside the home looking out a window, or under a ledge where no one can destroy them.

Outside motion lights, over garage, corners of home.

Get a ho to live with you, share expenses, and be there a few hours when you are at work. Come home at lunch to walk the dog.

Get a safe deposit box at a bank, do not leave valuables at home.

But like others are saying, best to move, white flight. You can't win unless someone is home all the time with a dog, shotgun, and camera system.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that your new house is already showing signs of vandalism. I'd get cameras up on that place asap.

Effective security is all about layers, failure compartmentalization, and slowing the advance of the adversary (elastic defense / defense in depth).

Install exterior lights, lots of them, and illuminate them 24/7. Add bright flood lights on motion sensors as well (pointed toward your home, not neighbors). Don't give any trespasser the privacy to try and make entry.

Establish a full exterior perimeter around your home, with a focus on all ingress/egress points (windows, doors), with a set of high resolution color cameras that either record 24/7, or record when motion is detected. It is best if you can have each camera looking at where the next camera is mounted, which will catch anyone tampering with the cameras themselves. Put up signs that say 24 hr video surveillance.

Install a home security system w/ monitoring. amRam is right about response times, but this is another layer that will aid when you can't sit around monitoring your camera feeds all day. Everything helps. Get glass break sensors, motion sensors, and entry sensors on all your windows and doors. You can put panic buttons around your home as well. Put up signs saying you have a home alarm system, put stickers on windows and doors as well.

Get a double strike plate for your door jam. It reinforces the weakest part of the door jam making it more difficult (not impossible) to kick in.

Put 3m security film on your windows. Again, it doesn't make it impossible to break it, but a half a dozen noisy whacks with a hammer, and a would be intruder still hasn't made entry, they're probably going to give up. If not, the alarm should be going off by that time anyway.

Get a dog. Big, little, young, old. It doesn't really matter as long as they go ape shit when someone comes to the door. If you do want a dog that can physically defend you from an intruder, then consider that as well.

Get a driveway alarm, or something else that will create an audible chime or alert in your home when someone pulls a car into the driveway.

And finally, arm yourself. If someone manages to make it past all of the previous layers, and into your domain, you can probably assume they're a persistent and dangerous enough threat to warrant lethal self defense.

Create an emergency response plan for when someone does break in. Plan where you'll go to make an escape, as well as where you might want to hide call police, or defend a position. Practice and drill for that plan, especially if you live with others, or are protecting your family.

Back