[Home Improvement] Help me heat my basement

Son of Mothra

Veteran XV
So it's that time of year again, and our basement(where my comp and guitar gear are) is diamond-cutting-nipple cold. My dad believes space heaters are satan, somewhat understandable. Currently the only heating i have are these two really shitty electric heating bar mcjigger things on two spots on our wall, about 5' x 6" on the bottom, they pretty much do nothing and circulate no heat (tried fans before).

Now there is a spot of wall behind me, if you go straight up it takes you by my front door, was wondering how a pellet stove could go, or something, or maybe another non shitty electric heating bar mcjigger. TW Homeimprovers, suggestions?

"really shitty electric heating bar mcjigger things"

:lol:

But you shouldve PMed Orbital for basement heating tips

I just put a PTAC unit in my attic when i remodeled it works great. A little pricey but it heats and cools. Just like a motel unit that goes thru the wall.

Timmain42 said:
Why are space heaters verboten, exactly?
I think he's living in the past, and refuses to see semi-modern safety precautions that have been implemented into space heaters these days. Back in the day i guess they were a big fire hazard.

and verboten is a good word

you don't have central air ducts down there? Jeez. I use a non-shitty baseboard radiant heater, which works really well.

our basement used to be really small apparently, and my dad kinda redid and expanded it all when i was younger, did a pretty good job. Except for the fucking heating.

I think the problem is insulation (or lack thereof). Insulate it and those baseboard heaters will probably start to magically work. ;)

Edit: Just saw the pics. It is a finished basement, then. Hotglue sleeping bags to the walls? Yank your wank til the friction heats the room? I dunno then.

Last edited:
Yeah i'm pretty sure insulation would work wonders, however i'm pretty sure those walls go straight out into the elements, dunno i'll ask my dad tonight about it

Your dad did a shitty fucking job of insulating it.

Redo that part and you'll be fine.

Try using a portable oil filled heater and put it in the center of the room instead of beside the non-insullated walls.

Back