Help with virus: nkdstt.exe ?

MST3K-rules

Contributor
Veteran X
My roommates computer has this virus that Symantec keeps identifying and popping up warnings about (hundreds of warnings), but says it can't quarantine.

The file is in Windows\System32 and is called nkdstt.exe

Anyone know how I can help him get rid of it?

Hmmm, I think I may have stopped it. I task-killed nkdstt and then Symantec killed the fucker.

I just don't understand if nkdstt is just a virus executable or if it's something windows needs to run.

I think the virus created a bunch of executables.

I was looking at the things that are listed to run in startup on his computer and there's a bunch of executables I've never heard of from Windows\System32 set to run. In fact, it also seems to open that folder on startup for some reason.

well let me know if you need any more help, ill be here

Here are all the weird executables. I want to use msconfig to make it so they don't start up anymore, but I worry that I may end up disabling something that isn't related to the virus. Anyone know if one or these executables is legit. All are in Windows\System32

igfxtray.exe
hkcmd.exe
cifkfevj.exe
Zyv5.exe
xtnsht.exe
rpxgxxwwd.exe

Precept said:

Gee, wonder why I didn't think of that. Wait, I did and it didn't find anything.

Thanks for the info Jessica Simpson (creepy name by the way).
Hopefully I don't hose my roommates computer.

Wasn't trying to be a smart ass, but usually when I find weird tasks running I have no problems finding info by just typing into google.

dont be creeped out and yoiur welcome for the help. Sometimes the hardest things to find are specifiv file names and shit like that.Im, happy to help

Well, I didn't hurt his computer, but I think the virus just created a whole new set of silly named exe files to replace the ones I deleted.

I have to study so I'm gonna abandon him. Maybe I'll try to fix it again tommorow.

Back