Help with Security+ Exam

Bridude

Veteran XV
Long story short, requirements at work have changed and I need to take the Comp Tia SY0-301 exam ASAP. If anyone has any good study materials or ideas I'd really appreciate it. :ugh:

Last edited:
thanks Data but I think that's the wrong test. I'm also looking for freebees if possible.

EDIT: I see ur editz

Last edited:
It says SY0-301. :shrug:

You wrote SYC-301 but I think that's a typo. SYC-301 isn't any CompTIA test that I can find.

Yeah I edited, grabbed the wrong link from Amazon. Didn't realize it until after the link parsed out in my post.

Just so we're clear, it's SY0(zero)-301.

I bought a book at Borders or Barnes and Noble for like $30 and it has everything you could want or need. Just man up and pay $30 if you're serious about the test. Totally worth it.

I don't mind spending the money if it's good. The problem is I've already spent some money but the materials I have seem to be complete shit or outdated.

Fonzie: do you remember the title of the book?

Detox: thanks, that site was recommended from a friend of mine but I couldn't find the link. From what I understand there's some program you D/L for a small fee and you can import any of those test into it.

I didn't think of TPB. There's something a little ironic about getting security cert materials from a pirate. Good call though.

The Sec+ exam is an "adaptive" exam meaning it is designed to fail people who don't know the material. It begins by asking a simple question in each area. If you have a weakness in a particular area it will focus on that.

I shouldn't even need the exam quite frankly but some suit(s) decided to increase the cert umbrella. At least I have some knowledge since I've been in the IT area for years. I feel sorry for the clueless admin people. Someone just sent me an article about how a huge portion of government employees can't even pass the tests (I'll keep my opinion as to why to myself) in turn, can't meet the requirements. So the government is like ok now what? :lol:

That said I don't mind taking the test I just wasn't expecting to get hit with this time frame. More resume fluff and hopefully long term it will weed out some of the idiots.

Anyways thanks for the help guys, I just received a disc with a ton of instructional videos on it so hopefully it will cover the "training" part.

If you've been in the field just brush up on ACL, wireless protocols, least privelage, protocols and their ports and uses, fucking blah. Just lookup Security+ cheatsheets. Also important to brush up on encryption types and their strengths. A lot of the content is geared toward CISSP now, in the 301. Other than that the shit is a cake walk.

Back