Help TW Techies! (Windows recovery thing)

Getao

Veteran XV
alright...I turned on my regular computer...and I get this fucking error before the windows loading screen even occurs. The only thing I've installed over the last few hours was vice city...and even then, I had been able to reboot my computer before. :\

this is also for XP Home Edition

mind you this is roughly paraphrasing.

One or more files in this directory is corrupted.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

then it tell me to use the boot CD recovery thingie

SYSTEM is actually a file as well

and btw, I own a legit copy of windows xp and I can get to the recovery thingie...I just don't know wtf to do to fix it.

help me :(

go to XP recovery console (download the 6 disks from M$ site if you can't go to console otherwise), when in console type chkdsk /p or was it /r to do the automatic thingy (do them both to be sure, can't remember, type "help" for commandlist).

Oh and you need to provide the address to the exe file it asks if it doesn't find it automatically, it's in your windows/system32 dir afaik.

If you don't know exactly what the problem is, then just reinstall the O/S. Don't format or anything, just reinstall.

But even if you know what the problem is, then IMHO - the Microsoft recovery tools are worthless. Get yourself a copy of ERD commander (sysinternals has a free 5-day version of it on thier website).

when I do chkdsk /r (that's the recovery one...) it always stops at 50%...which is where I assume the system file thing is...

There's no way I can make the comp operate at that point...it just freezes there.

I have installed another version of windows XP...is there a way to get all the programs I've already installed onto that thing, or am I going to have to go through all my installations and shit again? :\

You can use XP Setup (off the CD) to automatically repair your Windows install.

I recommend you do that.

Back