[Help] Tribes using 100% cpu/performance problems

Nostradamus

Veteran X
Can anyone please shed some light on why I'm having performance issues that are screwing up my ability to play Tribes properly, and what I can do to fix it? I read the other 100% cpu problem thread, but haven't been able to find a solution so far.

Cliffs:
1 - Tribes using 100% of my cpu while running/active window.
2 - Occasional wierd stuttering/FPS spikes while playing (likely related to 100% cpu).
3 - Similar problems even when hosting server & playing alone.
4 - I think problem started after installing ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro card, or maybe updating its drivers, or maybe something about my onboard soundcard? :shrug:
5 - This is driving me crazy! Please help.

My PC specs:
CPU: Intel Celeron D, 3200 MHz
RAM: 1.5GB DDR SDRAM
VidCard: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro 256MB DDR2(GPU 525MHz, Memclock 400MHz, not overclocked) (Driver 8.391, Catalyst ver 07.7)

----Wall of text----

1 - When playing Tribes my cpu is running at 100% ALL the time. I have no idea why. From the moment I open tribes, the tribes.exe process is using 100% cpu. It doesn't matter if I'm in server or just at the startup menu screen, in fullscreen or windows mode. With tribes running, as soon as I minimize or make tribes not the active window, the problem stops and cpu drops to just a few %. As soon as I make tribes the active window again, cpu returns to 100%.

Why on earth is Tribes using 100% cpu?! What could it possibly be doing to need that while just at the menu screens? Please can anyone help with this boggling problem?

I've tried:
clean tribes install
played with video card settings (catalyst)
changed resolutions/windowed mode ect
tried 16/32bit windows resolution
played with tribes clientprefs settings (also hudbot graphics settings stuff)
tried the "start /affinity 1 tribes.exe" bat file (even though only have 1 cpu)
vsync on/off
tried changing compatibility mode in xp to Windows 98 for tribes.exe

2 - I get strange fps spikes/drops ands stutters. Certain maps and heavy action seems to make it worse (obviously). I was noticing it while playing hillkingLT on shithole w/ too many ppl. I also noticed it while playing RD and hiccuping while zooming off into the distance with just terrain in view. Also noticed it on SH while right around the big stone/tower. Hudbot makes things worse/ more noticable. I can play on shithole w/ a 12-16ms ping, yet the fps problem makes it feel like its much much higher.

3 - I can host server and play by myself on SHLT, and my fps is always 100-120 (have vsync off) while standing still. if I fly up above the base and move the mouse back and forth fast the fps can drop to ~20 (or less with hudbot setup).

4 - Before installing the Radeon 2400 vidcard last year, I was using the onboard vidcard which was a (crap) ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (128mb i think). Yet I could run tribes great. This is madness! I can't remember but I think all of this started when I installed the 2400 or maybe updated the drivers? or Catalyst settings? or ATI Tray Tools? Would this explain the 100% cpu? Should I go back to an older version and what version? I'm afraid of doing something and screwing things up worse than I already have.

Also, could this possibly have something to do with my onboard soundcard? Is there a way to disable all sound in tribes for troubleshooting? I've tried but haven't had any luck.

I'm at a loss of what to do. Any input would very much be appreciated. TY in advance :)

I had a similar problem with my fps in tribes tanking and becoming unplayable every few seconds. Disabling OpenGL settings like AA and AF fixed it for me.

Hi ^
I disabled/lowered all the graphics settings for the vidcard in Catalyst (AA off/use app settings, adaptive AA off, AF off/use app settings, Catalyst AI off, Mipmap performance/low setting), but still having the problem. Unless there is some other place to disable AA/AF?
TY for the input though. :)

Like what the OP said in the other thread, I can still play tribes without much of a problem like 90% of the time, its just the occasional hiccups & fps spikes are really annoying, and trying to fix it has become one giant frustation. Here are some pics of what is happening when tribes is active/not active window.

As active window Tribes.exe process using 99% cpu:
tribescpu5.jpg

As soon as Tribes isn't the active window, cpu drops to only a few % (as it should be):
tribescpu6.jpg

I tried running another game just to compare/troubleshoot, and its just getting more confusing. I started up Morrowind. While Morrowind is the active window it is only using a few % of my cpu: everything completely normal and as it should be. As soon as I minimize or make Morrowind not the active window, the morrowind.exe process starts using 100% of my cpu. Exactly the opposite of what tribes is doing!

This can't just be a coincidence though? I think all the screwy problems with my tribes is all because of the 100% cpu issue, but I'm clueless to what is causing it and what to do to fix it.

If anyone has had this problem with tribes, can make any sense out of this or just point me in the right direction, please reply.

Thanks! :)

Tribes uses 100% of my CPU as well. E8400 dual core with GB of ram. I use a 8800gt instead of a ATI card.

I think it is just how the game works. I don't think your CPU usage is related to the fps issues you are getting.

How often during the course of a map does this happen?

On my last 2 computers I received FPS issues on occasion. Usually happened after playing more then a map or two. Sometimes it was only once and lasted a couple of seconds and sometimes it lasted a lot longer and repeatedly did it until I shut Tribes down. I always assumed it was hudbot.

With my new rig and Tribes install it rarely happens. Usually after a couple of maps I get the occasional short fps stutter for a couple of seconds and then it goes back to normal.

If another process needs the CPU Tribes cpu usage drops and the other process does its thing without any noticeable slowdown.

Last edited:
Back