HELP MY INTERNET. IT BROKE. OGOD. [BABES INSIDE]

Bodom said:
not that i know of yankee. its been working for a while now.

vlasics suggestion didnt work. ill see about copying the mac addy. just use mine?
you need to use yours

cloning a MAC can cause weird problems, though. You may need to throw a different NIC in your PC after doing so...it can cause flakey network problems.

what

if that happens cant i just switch the MAC addy back on the router. im not paying money for a new nic

Bodom said:
what

if that happens cant i just switch the MAC addy back on the router. im not paying money for a new nic
no, you can't.

The problem is that the ISP knows your NIC's MAC address. It doesn't know your router's. Changing it back will put you in the exact same situation you're in now.

Oh, you could always call your ISP and tell them you got a new PC. when you go to hook up the "New PC" you just hook up the router instead.

Or maybe you can ask them if they allow you to use a router. Then they can tell you what to do.

Vanguard said:
Unplug the cable modem ( Power) and leave it unpluged for about 3 mins, then plug it back in, give it about 3 mins more, then unplug and replug in your router

If you have a flashing cable light on your modem, that means its not synced up, and you will need to call your ISP
exacly.

What happens is the cable modem "marries" it'self to the first computer MAC that it's connected to when it boots up. Turning the cable modem off for 3-5 minutes (turn it off, go take a shit, or go shower, make dinner etc etc) makes it so the cable modem forgets the MAC it used to be connected to, thus letting you connect it to another computer (or the router).

That should fix the issue.

fixed. used another roommates comp to copy over my mac addy. shit works,

hopefully there wont be funky probs with networking. i hope not at least. anyways thanks for your help friends.

all that remains is getting the other 10 people hooked up. they somehow jerry rigged 13 people together through 1 or 2 routers and a switch and im not up for figuring it out

Back