Help, my computer is taking a shit on me.

Dust on the MB. Take all components out, and gently wipe them with alcohol. Do the same for the hard drive. People laugh at me for suggesting this, but I've had the same BSODs happen with my machines until I cleaned the hard drive PCB. I have a 150 PSI compressor I use on the MB and computer case. I gently blast the air from a foot away, and all the dust goes flying. I have a vacuum cleaner running as I do this. Then I take a few Q-Tips dipped in alcohol and wipe the hard drive board.

I've never had a computer BSOD because of dust, surprisingly. Hell, the one we have at the racetrack looks like someone poured sand in it.

oh, duh.

post the BSOD error code....
The only one still in the log is this:

0xa0000001
00000000`00000005
00000000`00000000
00000000`00000000
00000000`00000000
atikmdag.sys
atikmdag.sys+4d591
x64
ntoskrnl.exe+70700

Which I am pretty sure has to do with the ATI driver itself, but this isn't always the BSOD. In fact it was probably the first instance of it so far. A couple of the other ones that were on startup listed the file as '***', and the one that happened when I was playing a game after I thought I had fixed it was listed at 'win32k.sys'.

The main reason I didn't decide that it was 100% the graphics card is because this happens on two identical cards. Both over a year old, but happens on both. Could be just a weird coincidence I guess.

As of right now, and for the passed 30 minutes, it has been totally fine. I haven't tried a game yet, but I wanted to see if it would do anything with normal desktop usage and such. I could get a BSOD if I restart for all I know. Haven't tried to reinstall drivers again yet.

Send it to this guy.

nerd_computer_repair.jpg

I've never had a computer BSOD because of dust, surprisingly. Hell, the one we have at the racetrack looks like someone poured sand in it.
Luck how some computers can be dust bowls and nothing bad happen. Believe me, I tore apart my game machine and replaced every single part. I even bought the same MB from a FS/FT forum, and had the same problems. I finally said fuck it and built a whole new machine from scratch. Was time to do that any way.

Then the same problem happened in my 24/7 machine and I decided to swab the hard drive board. The problems went away. I'm convinced it was dust on the hard drive causing some kind of short.

So I just used ATI Tools to scan for artifacts. It was fine for about 10 seconds before yellow (bad stuff) strips started zooming across it, and ended up with like 4 large yellow squares before the tool crashed and the fan on my graphic card stopped. Screen flickered, but the desktop is still stable.

Well I decided to go ahead and get a Nvidia GTS 450 that a friend of mine has had for awhile that works really well. It's a pretty big jump from my 3870 anyway. Turns out that both of the cards were just bad. However, this has brought in a new problem.

Joy.

I now get a faint sound crackling when playing music, watching streams, or anything like that. For the most part it doesn't seem to be present in game, but it gets way worse if I minimize any game I am playing and try to do anything else outside of it. When I close the game it gets better, but it will still pop up every now and then. Rebooting remedies it for just a bit, but it will start right back up again within an hour tops.

From what I have read it could be something to do with Nvidia drivers. I already uninstalled the HD audio ones, but that didn't have any effect. I've also ran DPC Latency Checker and LatencyMon to see what I could find. DPC Latency Checker gives me around 1000-1900 µs jumps every ~10 seconds, with an occasional jump to the 4000 µs mark. Anything in between is 80 µs tops. As for LatencyMon, I'll just toss up a screenshot:

I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer card, and for the record I have never had this problem before. It just started when I installed the new card and drivers. I'd get similar audio glitches before, but once every week or so that could be fixed by changing audio modes. This is something that happens to a few people I know with X-Fi cards, so I'm not seeing that as the problem here. I have tried reseating the card in it's slot, and have tried switching slots and got no change.

Anyone want to toss some ideas my way again? I wanted to upgrade my sound card eventually, but I'm not convinced it's the card being bad. Be kind of pointless to get a new one to have it do the same thing. This one has worked really well anyway. Should it be agreed on that I should get a new one, what are some relatively low costing, good sound cards with at least 5.1 support I should be looking in to?

Could be feedback/EMI from the new card. Can you move the sound card down in your case, to a new slot?

As of right now I have them as far apart as they can be from one another. Which is like 4 slots of space. It was right under the card, but I get the same crackling in both slots.

thats a hot ass vid card. if you let that shit sit it is prolly fine till u game again. Once its cooked it will do it all the time if it boots at all.

I had a similar issue using onboard audio at one point. The only solution was to change the hardware (video card in my case).

Do you have an onboard sound card you can test with? Nothing against your card, but I would never buy another Creative product. I got fed up with their bullshit years ago.

The Nvidia drivers took over for sound and used the onboard when I installed them and I didn't seem to have the problem. Didn't leave it that way before though. You can bash on the card all you want, it is a crappy one anyway compared to what they have now. It's just as old as my old video card, so it could be just it. If it is then I am having a lot of strange coincidences happen with my hardware lately :lol:

As for the heat of the card, the 3870x2 ran a lot more hot than this one. This one is sitting at 33c idle right now, and doesn't go much passed 50c in game. My 3870 used to sit at 45-50c idle, and 60c more more in game without cranking the fan up high.

Screenshot of around 2 minutes of running the DPC Checker

Slightly more tame than normal, but roughly the same. The spikes are pretty consistent.

Back